Tyler - Consulting a Priestess

A.N. This chapter isn't quite ready yet, but I'm posting in the hopes that reader comments might help me figure out how to edit this chapter.

Let me know what you think. Your impressions of Tyler were very different than the one I had when I first wrote him. I think that very heavily influenced this chapter, probably far too much and in a bad way. I'll probably go back and completely change this entire chapter.

For the moment, I have hit a wall and I'm hoping you will help tear it down for me.

————————————————————-

Defying the Moon

*Tyler*

"Tyler Moor requesting an audience with Priestess Etain of the Waining Moon Coven." I shifted nervously as I waited for an audience with the priestess. Our pack had always had a close relationship with the Waining Moon Coven for as long as we had a history as a pack. We trusted their priests for leadership and guidence. When a priestess, suposably with a strong inclination in the powers of foresight had visted my home at my graduation ceremony, it had been a great honor.

Would you give your heart for a greater purpose?

How do you say no to words like that? Without knowing the context...

I had to see her how, to ask, to be sure. Why had she recommended me for the ritual? What should I do with myself now?

Not just a priestess, but damn near close to a prophetess, surely she would know how to fix this.

"Come," a priest gestured me down a hall and into a candle lit room – the coven hadn't particularly embraced electricity.

"You failed," she turned her head to me a small, sad smile graced her lips.

"You expected this?!" No, wait, that wasn't the most important issue! What exactly had I failed at?

"You were doomed to fail, but there was a chance. A small one, but a chance non-the-less, that you would resonate with the stray mother and lure away his mate. Saving him and fulfilling a greater purpose. If you had succeeded, things would not have gone poorly for you... but it's best not to dwell on a future that will not be."

She turned to face me, sorrow on her face, like she was the one rejecting me now.

"How do I fix this?"

I didn't know what else to ask her. I wanted to rage and shout, but I needed guidance not to get thrown out.

"You don't." She made her way over to a window, hair flowing past her shoulders, hands fiddling with something translucent. "It's the wounded soldier's turn now. Go to your mate, if you wish, win her over. Or turn away from your wolf and spurn her. I would recommend the latter. You will have much pain now, but eventually you and your wolf will move past this and rejoin each other."

"Won't I loose my wolf? Did you recommend me for this ritual so I would have to live the rest of my life human?! There has to be something I can do!" For myself if not for Xander. The coven couldn't have recommended me for a ritual with no greater purpose than to ruin me.

And, that thought itself terrified me, to live the rest of my life as not me.

"Do you love the woman? Will you go back to woo her?" She tested me.

"No," I damn near growled at her, nails biting into my fists.

"Does your heart hold affection for her? Want to protect her?"

I gave her the most scathing look I could muster.

"Would you go as far as to punish her?"

I had to pause at that one. Was that an option? Would it make things worse? Was this another test were I was unknowingly signing myself up for some sort of unwritten self sacrifice I didn't understand? I probably wasn't going to like where ever this lead either.

She made her way to me and took me by the hand, leaving something in it. 

"If you wish to banish the dark hag, render her powerless. Let your wolf lead hers, abide in abandon together inside the crystal, leaving hosts for more."

"What does that mean?!" I was too irritated to be polite with her. I'd been patient and it was time to be pushy.

"If you want to help the stray mother, use your wolf to lure hers into the crystal. You will both have to live without your wolves for several years. I would recommend at least until you graduate. It will be good for you anyway. But let her think it is permanent. The longer you hold off the better, but I will not condemn you for your failure to abide. I do caution you, if you have any morality left when you break the crystal, warn the stray mother first. He will need to be wary of the dark hag's retribution."

So she expected me to succeed in trapping our wolves, willingly live as a human for a number of years, eventually give in and break the crystal, and something else she wasn't telling me. And she probably wouldn't.

So she wanted me to go back to face Xander Withern. Did that mean I still had a chance with him? 

Was it wrong that I even wanted one?

"I'll do it." I slipped the crystal into my pocket.

Maybe she would let me leverage connections to the coven for my next talk with the other pack's alpha.

——————————-

A.N. Wattpad took away the ability to make chapters private, so all the sex scenes are now public. *mixed feelings*

I decided to stop rereading and editing my chapters a dozen times before I publish them and just put them out there. I'm hoping this will facilitate my writing pace better.

I have very mixed feelings about this chapter. I would normally hold off on publishing until I was sure about where I was directing this little ball of mud. But in the spirit of getting the ball rolling... here's a crappy chapter.

Let me know what you think.