II. February, Ch. 22

Start from the beginning

     "I will. Give me the car keys."

     "No, I mean go ahead and ask her."

     Calvin wrinkled his forehead. "Ask who, what?"

     "You'll have the apartment to yourself tonight. As upset as I am, I don't want you spending Valentine's Night alone."

     A pang of emotion threatened Calvin's throat. He wasn't used to this kind of affection.

     "Invite Vivi over," said Roger "Cookie and I will be home late."

     All Calvin did was stare. It was a tempting offer, one he couldn't take. "I'm going to behave. I promised Marlo."

     "You already broke the rules. Might as well go the whole nine."

     Calvin was sure it was a sexual reference, but he was too relieved to have Roger's blessing to care. This only meant Roger knew his and Genevieve friendship was strictly platonic.

     Roger motioned his head towards Genevieve's car. "Go."

     Calvin was still for a moment, then burst into a sprint towards Genevieve like he was stopping a disaster from happening.

****

     "Mayo, mustard, and relish," said Genevieve.

     Calvin took another bite of his Big Mac and nodded as he chewed. "I taste the relish, but I think it's ketchup, not mustard."

     "No, ketchup's too sweet."

     The two were alone on Calvin's living room couch. Calvin's feet rested on the ottoman, but Genevieve was wearing a skirt and kept her legs crossed.

     Genevieve arrived half an hour after Cookie and Roger left. She brought McDonald's and whatever was left of Calvin's bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.

     They ate their hamburgers and spoke of nothing important. The television aired the opening credits to Get Smart, but they ignored it as they debated which ingredients comprised the Big Mac secret sauce.

     Calvin washed down the hamburger and sesame seeds with wine. "I say we ask that Kroc fella for half a million in exchange for keeping our mouths shut about the recipe."

     She observed her wine in the glass, like a child fascinated by a dancing light."Why not the whole million?"

     "Let's not push our luck."

     Genevieve wiped her lips with a paper napkin. "You don't mix luck with money?"

     "No. It's never necessary."

     She turned to him. "Funny you should say that. I've been meaning to ask you about something."

     Why was he so nervous?

     "Have you... do you... gamble?"

     He put his glass down. "What do you mean?"

     "You know, bet on anything?"

     Gambling, like drinking, was another thing Calvin avoided out of respect for his late father. "No. Do you?"

     Genevieve wiped her hands on a paper napkin and ran her fingers through her scalp, closing her eyes and letting out a sensual groan. "Oh, yes."

     Calvin knew she was relaxing. He loved scalp massages as much as she did.

     But watching her do it to herself was too intimate. It was like watching her step out of a bathtub.