Chapter 23

As Hinata slowly opened her eyes, a throbbing pain pulsed through her head, accompanied by a dull ache that spread throughout her body. Attempting to move, she found her muscles stiff and unresponsive. After blinking a few times, she struggled to focus her vision, eventually recognizing Naruto and Sasuke standing by her bedside.

"Hinata!" Naruto exclaimed, relief washing over his face. "We were so worried about you. How are you feeling?"

Hinata tried to speak, but her throat felt dry and scratchy. Managing to croak out a few words, she was abruptly overcome by a violent coughing fit.

Sasuke placed a solemn hand on her shoulder. "Don't strain yourself. You've been through a lot."

Weakly nodding, Hinata's gaze shifted to the doorway where a doctor entered, accompanied by Sakura. Her heart skipped a beat upon seeing her former friend, once her closest confidante. "Ah, I see you're awake," the doctor stated, a hint of relief audible in their voice. "Let me quickly check your vitals, and then Sakura can explain the results to you."

Approaching the bed, Sakura's expression grew serious. "I'm sorry to say this, but Hinata has been poisoned," she announced. "We're still running tests to identify the toxin and its source. For now, our focus is on treating the symptoms and stabilizing her condition."

Confusion and fear flooded Hinata's mind as a whirlwind of questions filled her thoughts. Who could have poisoned her, and for what reason? Could it be Toneri? Her imagination conjured up terrifying scenarios, spinning her thoughts out of control.

Before she could process everything, her consciousness slipped away once more, and she descended back into unconsciousness.

---

Sakura let out a disappointed sigh. "I had hoped to have this conversation with you guys alone while Hinata was still unconscious," she confessed, turning her attention to the boys in the room. Her expression indicated clear displeasure. "To be honest, I wasn't sure if I wanted to help. Hinata basically used me."

Naruto attempted to interject, but Sakura cut him off. "No, I don't want to hear any excuses. If I hear any excuses, I won't help, and I'm the poison expert here." Sakura's frustration was palpable. "After all of this is over, though, I would like to speak to Sasuke alone." With those words, she left the room.

Naruto turned to Sasuke, his brow furrowed in frustration. "I wonder who could have poisoned Hinata," he said, glancing over at his friend.

Sasuke merely shrugged his shoulders. "It was probably Toneri," he speculated.

"Well, let's call the police station and see if we can talk to Toneri ourselves," Naruto suggested, pulling out his phone and dialing the number. After a few rings, the police answered and transferred them to where Toneri was being held. Eventually, Toneri picked up the phone, sounding annoyed. "What?" he snapped.

"What did you do to Hinata?!" Naruto demanded, his frustration mounting.

"What are you talking about? Hinata was perfectly fine with me," Toneri replied.

"Well, you must have poisoned her since we're here in the hospital just for that reason. Tell the truth, Toneri," Naruto pressed.

"Poisoned? What the hell are you talking about? Why would I poison the one I love?" Toneri's voice dripped with sincerity.

"For the money. I don't know your reasoning why. That's why we called you," Naruto said

, his anger escalating at Toneri's actions.

"I don't need Hinata's money. I have plenty of my own. Again, I didn't poison her," Toneri insisted.

Sasuke and Naruto exchanged confused glances. "So, who did?" Naruto asked, bewildered.

"How should I know?" Toneri replied. "Well, did you guys see anyone?" Naruto pressed.

"Just a girl I used to hang out with in high school. Other than that, no one. I made sure to keep Hinata locked in the house," Toneri said before the line disconnected abruptly.

"F*ck," Naruto muttered with a sigh.

As Sakura reentered the room, she announced, "So, I think I've figured out what it is."

Naruto was taken aback. "That fast?"

Sakura rested her hand on her hip, smirking at Naruto. "I am the poison expert," she reminded him.

Meanwhile, Sasuke's irritation with the day's events was evident. "Get on with it," he urged, his patience wearing thin.

"So, the poison is called Armitox. It's a common toxin, but it takes time for the symptoms to appear. If not properly treated, it could be fatal. Thankfully, you brought her to the hospital, and I have something that will help her until it exits her system," Sakura explained.

"Then give it to her," Sasuke ordered.

"Yes, sir," Sakura responded, her irritation with Sasuke palpable in her tone.

After Sakura administered the shot through Hinata's IV, she turned to Sasuke and asked, "May I speak to you outside?"

Sasuke simply nodded and exited the room, followed by Sakura. Outside, they stood in silence, staring at each other, tension thick in the air.

"Why?" Sakura began, her voice filled with hurt. "Why her? Am I not enough for you? I've tried so hard to get your attention, to prove my love for you."

She paused, gathering her emotions before continuing, "But you decided you wanted a three-way relationship. Don't you hate sharing? Aren't you jealous?"

Sasuke's expression remained impassive as he replied, "No." The silence stretched on as they maintained their locked gaze.

"So, is it still her? Or will you give me a chance?" Sakura asked, her voice tinged with hope.

Sasuke's demeanor remained unaltered as he answered Sakura's question firmly. "Hinata and I share a connection that you and I will never have."

Sakura's face fell, tears welling up in her eyes. "I understand," she said quietly, her voice barely above a whisper.

Sasuke approached her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Sakura, you're an amazing person. But my feelings for Hinata cannot be changed. I'm sorry."

Sakura nodded, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I understand," she repeated, her voice barely audible.

They stood there in silence for a few moments before Sasuke spoke again. "We should go back inside. Hinata needs our help," he said, gently guiding Sakura back into the hospital room.

Days turned into weeks as the poison slowly began to leave Hinata's system, taking months to fully dissipate. Throughout the ordeal, Sasuke and Naruto stood by her side, providing unwavering support. Awkwardness filled the room whenever Sakura entered, but they put their personal differences aside for the sake of their beloved. Sakura, still hurt from the situation, maintained a professional demeanor.