51

Maya

"You've been quiet today,"

"Hm?"

"You've been quiet," Finn said, "And you've not eaten lunch,"

"Oh,"

"He's right," Ellen said, "What's up? Wanna come to mine after school?"

"I can't,"

"Finn came yesterday cos he was sad, and we did painting, and my ma made us cookies,"

I shrugged and looked at the plate of food, pushing it away from me slightly.

"Did you... er, already know that?" Finn asked, "I'm sorry, if that upset you... I just find it really hard to talk to my parents sometimes and I was really upset,"

"That really was what happened. My house is the place to be, that's why you're invited tonight,"

I looked at Ellen and shrugged again, before looking back at my food. Finn ducked his head down to be in my eye-line and raised his eyebrows, his hair falling across his face which he had to swoop back.

"Was that not it and we just made more problems?"

"That was it. I know it's not that deep but, I just, I dunno. I'm sorry,"

"Don't be sorry, silly. We're sorry it looked like we were being mean," Ellen said, hugging me tightly, "We love ya, sometimes you've just gotta talk to the person who knows a lot of shit about you,"

"Yeah. I get that. Totally get that,"

"So we're good?"

"Yeah,"

"Good,"

Finn pushed my food back towards me then grabbed my hand under the table to hold, locking his fingers with mine.

"Promise we love ya," Ellen said, "We'll hang out alone. You two will hang out alone,"

"Yeah, it's just past experiences. I'll learn,"

"Okay. Eat up, it'll go cold,"

Ellen pulled a snack out her bag and started eating that, so I ate lunch, then we put the trays back and left the canteen. I definitely wasn't a fan of it in there with the noise and people everywhere, but it was pretty nice for a canteen.

Even though this wasn't the fancy school, and it definitely needed TLC, I was beginning to love it and its imperfections. Mine and Finn's desk in English had small scribbles on the edge, including one of our games of tic tac toe. Some of the walls had smiley faces drawn on, the classrooms were all different, crazy colours. Small things like that made this place a whole lot less intimidating.

The rest of the day wasn't so bad now the air was cleared, and it was nice to meet Calum afterwards. He instantly took my bag from me, then wrapped my arm round me as we walked home so I could change.

I ended up having a lay down on the sofa because I felt a bit sick, but after some water I felt okay.

"Did you guys talk it out today?"

"Yeah,"

"Good. Should we go for celebratory ice cream?" he asked, holding my hand, swinging it slightly.

"Not ice cream,"

"Cake?"

"No,"

"A nice drink?"

"Yeah,"

"Let's go then, I'm sure you'll want to be back for Michael getting home,"

I followed him out to the car and we drove to his favourite coffee shop, parking round the corner. He wasn't so bad to hang out with on his own. To be fair, Calum was always the one who spoke to me on the rare occasion they visited, and he always heard what I had to say. I didn't say much to him, but he did listen to every word of whatever I said, and he still did. At least I wasn't boring I guessed.