2

Maya

I overslept.

A lot.

I had stayed up finishing my book into the early morning, then slept for a very long time, meaning now I only had a couple of hours to do the rest of the chores.

Realistically, I should've been in a rush, but I took my time. I felt a bit iffy again, but after getting a glass of water I seemed to be okay, and made myself a slice of toast.

My first job was cleaning the bathrooms, so I brushed my teeth and got to work. It was probably my least favourite chore, especially because the shower screen was so stubborn. The sink and toilet weren't too bad, so the downstairs bathroom wasn't much of a hassle either.

I took a break after that to have a drink, then cleaned the toaster out, and checked the list off.

It was getting boring, and I felt like mum wouldn't notice the bins not being emptied today, so I just started to cook tea instead. Doing this wasn't so bad- when I put music on it was kind of fun. I didn't know how to cook much, but stir fry always went down well.

As I was chopping up vegetables, dad came home and didn't really acknowledge me. He sat on the sofa and turned the tv on, but that was fine with me.

Not long later, mum came home, and she usually ignored me too, but she came into the kitchen and inspected the list.

"No bins done. I'll forgive you, my colleague says you served them the other day and did a very good job,"

"Oh,"

"At least you're keeping our name clean outside the house," she said, putting my phone down beside me, before dismissing herself.

I served up tea and took it to the table, then got all of us some water. Mum said my portion was too small then forced dad to give some of his up, but that was all they said.
They always sat opposite each other, while I sat at the head of the table, not talking. It was both by choice, and the fact that they didn't want to talk to me.

Dropping out of school really had been a huge turning point, but I wasn't smart enough for it, and they used to get disappointed with me anyway.

I wasn't cool, so I didn't have a large friend group as an incentive to keep going. In fact, the large friend group often picked on me, and mocked me. I'd kinda ended up in a bad habit of endless talking stages and failed relationships too, because it took my mind off things.

I never had a favourite teacher, or class, because everyone was so miserable at that place I swore. I just got into trouble because I got bored in class, and I didn't understand anything anyway. Mum and dad always told me Mike got the smart genes, and that I definitely wasn't destined to do anything good like he was.

I didn't even have any hobbies or clubs to enjoy while I was there, and honestly it had been so hard to drag myself out of bed every morning, go to school, then do homework. School made my mind feel shitty, and I really didn't enjoy life, at all. I used to wish I would go to sleep and never hear my alarm again.

Now I had left, things were a little better. Granted I was seen differently at home, but there was no homework. I got to come home and switch off from work mode. It paid shit, and was shit, but it wasn't school.

About two years ago, while I was still in school, things had got really bad. Mum and dad didn't like me, but I was grateful that they did kind of bother with my mental health. Apparently Michael had struggled too so I supposed since we were equals on that front, I at least got help (until they stopped paying when I turned 18 a few months ago) .