29

Michael

I swore mum and dad had been waiting for me to call, because no one answered their phone that quickly or cheerfully. Or was so prepared to act oblivious.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm not calling to chit chat. Please can I have the details for Maya's last therapist?"

"Why do you need then?"

"Doesn't matter, just give me them,"

"That's confidential information,"

"Well I am her caregiver now,"

"I will tell Maya,"

"You're not talking to Maya. Give them to me,"

"No,"

"Are you taking the piss?"

Abruptly, the call ended, and I groaned, resting my head on the kitchen table. They were such draining people.

Deciding to revisit that later on, I made lunch for us both, then went to wake Maya up, only to see her with her head in a book.

"Oh, you're awake,"

"Mhm,"

"Here is lunch. Now, will you be okay if Ash comes over tonight to look after you? I'm working a long couple of night shifts so he'll probably be your weekend company,"

"Yeah,"

"Sorry this is all so weird. I know going from two parents to 4 busy 30 year old men is a big change,"

"Mhm,"

She put her book down and took lunch, taking one small bite, before picking her book back up again.

"I can make you something else,"

"Not hungry,"

"Maya,"

"I'm not," she said, her eyes watering, "My stomach and chest hurt,"

"You need to eat lunch,"

She shook her head, so I took the book from her hands to get her to look at me, which she couldn't do.

"Maya. I love you, so much. I really care about how you feel, and I think that's possibly quite intense considering our past, but I do care about you. I'm never, ever mad about you feeling upset, or like you are struggling,"

"Mhm,"

"I do,"

"Can I tell you the truth?" she said.

"Always,"

"You know about the whole food situation. I am okay now, I promise I am working on it, but when I'm having a bad day like this it gets bad,"

"I understand,"

"But it started because I hated myself. And I hated myself because people at school made me hate myself. And now I am scared to go to school because I don't wanna get bullied like that again. I started flunking because of it. I dropped out of school because I was flunking because of my mental health, because I was bullied and now I just think I'm a huge mess,"

"You are not a huge mess,"

"Look at me,"

"You're not a huge mess. Thank you for trusting me to tell me what happened,"

"Mum and dad think I just flunked and dropped out cos I'm shit. I mean, I'm not as smart as you anyway, so my grades were mega shit,"

"You're not shit,"