10

Maya

"You should sleep now,"

"I need to finish my chapter,"

Michael sat at my desk and spun round on the chair- he did not understand the environment one tried to create to read.

"I will sleep after,"

"No you won't,"

"You're distracting me. I will come upstairs and say goodnight, promise,"

"You better. Otherwise I'll be back down in 15 minutes,"

He got off the chair and stumbled a bit, then left the room and went upstairs; I heard it really loud because the stairs went above my room.

My chapter was only a page away from being done, which I knew, so I read the next one too. I didn't know what time it was, but probably late, for I didn't see Michael being the curfew type.

By the time I had finished the next chapter and checked, it was 1:18am, which actually was a lot later than I thought.

I brushed my teeth, then went upstairs to Michael's room, which he had thankfully left open because otherwise I would've gone into Calum's.

"Goodnight,"

"Goodnight darling,"-

"I don't like these pet names everyone keeps using,"

"My bad. Goodnight best little sister,"

It was dark, but I saw him open his arms for a hug, so I went over and gave him one, then left his room and shut the door on the way out.

I was getting used to my room here, and had been sleeping well on my bed, for it was ridiculously comfy. I hated to admit it, but I quite liked it here, and even though it had only been a few days, comfort wise it felt much longer. This house did at least make me feel safe.

Plus it was kinda nice to go to sleep knowing the other people in this house probably weren't thinking negative thoughts about yourself. Strangely, it was hard to adjust to, though I guessed I wasn't having too positive thoughts about myself yet, so it was weird for me to think they would be.

At the end of the day, the house was nice, and the people were nice, but I still had a nagging voice in my head telling me they were faking it, and that I didn't deserve it. I was a mess still. Compared to Michael, I wasn't kind, or smart, or brave, and comparing me to him was something I had always hated, but sometimes I couldn't help but do it.

Maybe I could learn to be, though. He would be a good teacher.

I tried to go to sleep, but I had looped myself into an overthinking mood, so I just picked my book up again and read another chapter.

Then another.
And another.

In fact, I wasn't sure how many I read, but I woke up to Michael taking the book off my face.

"Good morning, I told you not to read,"

"Sorry,"

"How much sleep did you get?"

"I'm sorry Michael," I said, sitting up, "I'm sorry,"

"Woahhhh it's not that deep, I just want you to get a good nights sleep," he said, finding my bookmark, "It's okay,"

"Oh,"

"What do you want for breakfast?"

"It kinda is that deep for me," I said, releasing a sigh of relief, though my heart was still pounding at the thought of a punishment.