20

Michael

I watched as Maya stretched her neck for about the 5th time whilst eating a sandwich and sighed, sipping my coffee.

Granted, she had slept well, and way into the afternoon which I thought was a nice change compared to how uptight she could be- but her neck obviously ached.

"Why are you staring?"

"Hm?"

"You're staring,"

"You're moving weirdly,"

"No I'm not,"

"Bet Calum could help with your neck,"

"My neck is fine,"

"No it's not," I said, sipping my coffee again, "Thought we could go on a walk today. Maybe get a coffee after?"

"I'm too tired,"

"No way are you tired,"

Slightly, she grinned, then shrugged and stretched her neck again.

"Go and talk to Cal,"

"It's fine!"

"No it's not,"

I took her empty plate and she stomped upstairs, but I followed amused, and waited in my room.

The pair of them were arguing childishly, but they seemed to have woken up on good terms so I didn't really care- I hated tension in the house and I could imagine she hated it way more.

Now it was kinda obvious this was permanent to me, I felt more weight on my shoulders everyday. I knew she would be staying from the start, but it guessed it would be longer than I expected even though I did tell her it would be forever.

There was so much to think about, but I was hoping if she ended up at school, she would get support there too.

Eventually, she came into my room with clothes on and medicine to take, then sat next to me and leant on my shoulder.

"Better?"

"A bit,"

"Good. Why didn't you want to sleep in your own room?"

"I dunno,"

"You can tell me if something's up,"

"It's just a bit lonely sometimes, and we had loads of fun out of my room so I wanted to stay there,"

"Well, I know you like your alone time sometimes, but if you want to come and read in here before bed, or hang in here, you can,"

"Thank you,"

"I never want you to feel alone, okay?"

"I know. You're a good brother, but you're not a mum and dad and that still makes me feel lonely,"

"I'm really sorry they treated you that way, and that things haven't been straight forward. I know that's tough when you feel like you're meant to be figuring it all out," I said, kissing the top of her head, "I know I can't fill that gap,"

"You are good though,"

"Why thank you,"

"I don't know why I feel so upset when I have you,"

"You just said it yourself! I can't fill that gap and that's okay to be upset about. You'll probably feel upset for a long time and that does not take away anything about our relationship,"

"Yeah,"

"You kinda have four big brothers!"

"Yeah,"