16

Michael

Loud knocking at the front door around 8am was never a great way to wake up.

I put my dressing gown on, as well as my slippers, then headed downstairs to a distraught Maya stood by the door.

"It's them,"

"Who?"

"Mum and dad,"

"Great. Get back to bed, as far as they know you're asleep. I'll give you a rundown after,"

"Don't let them in,"

"I will try my best,"

She scurried off to her room and shut the door, so I unlocked the front one and opened it slightly, being met with large smiles.

I slipped outside and shut the door, but kept my hand on the handle.

"Good morning,"

"What are you doing here?" I said sharply.

"We've come to invite Maya home,"

"No,"

"Sorry?"

"No way," I laughed, "You can leave,"

"We don't want to hassle you anymore , Michael," mum said, "She can come home,"

"She isn't a hassle, so no,"

"She is our daughter,"

"And she is also 18 so she can choose where she wants to live, which is here. Please can you leave my property,"

"Now what's with this new attitude?" Dad said, "We are trying to be nice, and do a good thing,"

"Why would you want her back? You make it quite obvious she is, in-fact, a hassle for you,"

"Well the situation has died down, she can have her job back! I talked to the manager,"

"She doesn't want her job back, and she is staying here,"

"Let us hear it from her,"

"She is sleeping, and quite frankly it is not a good idea for her to see you. I'm really disappointed in you guys,"

"Oh don't be ridiculous, she could've gotten pregnant,"

"She's 18. She didn't get pregnant. We actually took care of her and went to the doctors, and they found she has a vitamin D and C deficiency,"

"Well she didn't before,"

"She definitely did. Vitamin C comes from food, guys. Come on,"

"She has had... issues,"

"I am aware, but she has been eating here, because we sit down, and we eat food together that's cooked for us all,"

"Let us see her," mum said, agitated that I was right; I held the door firmly shut and tightened my jaw, looking between them both.

"Leave, otherwise this will get serious,"

"Michael, this isn't how you usually are,"

"Leave, and don't come back. You kicked her out, let her live here in peace,"

"Wow, you have changed a lot Michael. I thought you were respectful, and an empathetic person,"

"You know, those games don't work on a mind that's not so impressionable. Are you leaving or shall I call someone to remove you?"

I watched them walk down the drive with their heads hanging slightly lower, then went back inside and locked the door, loosening my body before I went to see Maya.

When I went inside her room, I found her laid in her bed covers, silently crying. All it took was for them to visit, and that killed me.

"They've gone, and they're not gonna return on my watch,"

"I... I,"

"I know," I soothed, brushing my fingers through her hair, "Did you hear?"

"Yeah,"

"I'm not letting you get away from me so fast! I love you here, and I love you,"

"I...,"

"Take your time,"

She grabbed my hand and put it on her cheek, which was quite literally inflating and deflating as she tried to catch her breath. Her hands were shaking too.

"Is there anything I can get you?"

"Michael,"

"I'm here,"

"My chest hurts,"

"You need to sit up,"

"I ca... can't," she panted, "I think I'm gonna pass out,"

"Here, I'm gonna help you sit up,"

I put my arms round her and scooped her up to sit, holding her tightly in my arms.

"You are so, so safe with me. And you are so, so loved by me. I think you're amazing,"

Nothing came out her mouth but she gripped my arm tightly, digging her fingers in.

"You are so brave, and I love having you here. They won't come back, and if they do then we wont answer. You don't have to deal with them anymore,"

"My chest hurts,"

"I've got you. I've always got you. You're safe,"

"Can you stay with me?"

"Of course I'll stay. I'll stay with you all day if you need me to!"

"Okay,"

"I've got your back forever and ever,"

"You still have your bracelet on?"

"I do," I said, showing her, "Do you?"

"Yeah,"

"Best friends then ay?"

"Brother and sister,"

"Yeah... do you think we could take some deep breaths together?"

"Okay,"

I brushed the hair from her face as we took deep breaths, then opened her window because she was quite warm.

"You're so brave. I've been thinking about how I can reward you for being so brave, and adapting to all of this. Maybe we could get you a guitar,"

"Maybe,"

"What colour?"

"I can't think right now. Can we watch a movie?"

"Do you want breakfast?"

"After,"

"Okie dokie. I've got you Maya, okay? I promise. You're safe with me,"

"I hate them,"

"Oh trust me, I hate them too,"