26

Maya

"Ugh. Mum's not picking me up, and Ma is at work. I gotta walk,"

"The whole ten minutes,"

"I don't like walking alone!"

I stood in the lunch queue beside Finn and Ellen, even though I had a packed lunch. They were quite chatty, and I was avoiding eye contact, just following them round.

Today hadn't been so bad though. English was good, actually, and at break Mrs Attersfield gave me a rundown on the people I could go to if I needed some space, or someone to talk to. Miss Lauderdale was probably gonna be my go to if I needed someone; she was really nice today.

Lunch was a bit daunting, but I wasn't alone so that was good.

"So you're Maya?" Ellen asked, sitting opposite me, "We share classes! It's nice to finally have another girl my age, I've been kinda eager to meet you,"

"Yeah,"

"You're quiet,"

"Ellen!"

"She is!"

"She's sat right infront of you bro," Finn said, "First day nerves!"

"Sorry,"

"It's okay... I'm a bit crap at all this,"

"Don't worry, I was too," Ellen smiled, "Are you new to the area? We could give you a tour afterschool,"

"So you can't walk ten minutes home but you can give Maya a tour?"

"If I was doing a tour, Finn, I wouldn't be walking alone,"

"I am new, but we're going to Ashton's tonight, so I can't,"

"I dunno who that is but fair enough. Saturday?"

"Maybe give her some time to think,"

Finn smiled at me, then went back to eating his lunch; I couldn't touch mine. I didn't like eating infront of people I didn't know.

"Where did you move from?" Ellen continued.

"Only like, 40 minutes away. It's nicer here,"

"You think?"

"Yeah... maybe it's just the house though. My brother lives with his best friend so it's kinda different,"

"Do you have rules?"

"Not really,"

"Jealous,"

I smiled slightly when she laughed, then looked at my lap and checked my phone for any message from Michael, but there wasn't one. There hadn't been all day.

There was one from Ash though, telling me to have a good day.

"Are you gonna eat?" Finn asked.

"Me?"

"Yeah,"

"Not hungry, I still feel nervous,"

"Awh man, I'm sorry,"

"It's whatever,"

"Can we help with any of the nerves?"

"Not really,"

"You'll get used to it all again," he said, "We both did,"

Thankfully, the conversation shifted, and I got to listen to them talk. I liked listening, and observing, especially since I guessed these guys were my equals.

They did try to talk to me, but I didn't give much back,

After lunch, I got passed over to Ellen, who spoke my ear off on the way to class, but it was nice to talk to someone my age. I hadn't really done much talking to anyone my age lately.