50

Maya

"Good morning! I missed you at the game the other day by the way," Ellen said, looping arms with me, "I took some photos for you though,"

"Thank you,"

"Are you writing it today? At lunch?"

"I dunno, maybe,"

"I'll edit them while you write,"

"Okay,"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah,"

"Liar," she said, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine. Promise,"

"Lies,"

Still, she grinned, and we walked into music class together, sitting in our usual spots. Finn hadn't shown up this morning, so I guessed she was on high alert and kinda on edge when it came to how we were both feeling.

Music was fun, I had no voice but it was nice to feel more confident about it all. About music and school- maybe I wasn't so stupid. Plus both my friends were fun to hang around, and we never got in trouble.

Usually Finn met me if I had a different class to Ellen, but he still wasn't here, so I had to go alone to the next lesson. It was a bit intimidating, but Mrs Lauderdale always greeted me with a smile, so I didn't feel totally alone.

"Good morning, how are you doing today?"

"Okay,"

"What've you just come from?"

"Music,"

"This must be a downgrade,"

"No. I do miss Finn though,"

"He'll be here soon,"

"Oh. Really?"

"Yeah, or at least I was told he'd be coming midway through. I didn't see you at the game? Finn said you were writing about that,"

"I had stuff,"

"Ah right. Feeling ready for class?"

"Yeah,"

"Awesome, when Finn comes in I'll catch him up, don't worry,"

Probably around 20 minutes into the lesson, Finn came in and sat beside me. Even though we had had to be silent, he somehow seemed extra quiet, and didn't return my smile with his usual cheesy grin.

While we listened, he sat clicking his pen, and continued to do so as miss caught him up on our worksheet. It confused me, and freaked me out a bit more than I expected, that he seemed a bit upset. Not that I was selfish, but it was weird for me to care about someone. Before moving I barely even cared about myself.

"Sorry I was late,"

"It's okay. Turns out I know the way,"

"I picked you this on the way," he said, pulling a squashed daisy from his pocket, "It reminded me of you,"

"Really?"

"Yeah. I thought it would look cute behind your ear,"

"Try it out,"

He tucked my hair, then the daisy, behind my ear and started to blush, looking away.

"Does it look good?"

"Very,"

"Cool,"

"I can't believe you were running late and still picked a flower,"

"I wasn't running late, I was running on my own time,"

"Oh,"

"I'm fine now though,"