3

Maya

I couldn't click the call button.

It had been an hour. I had been pacing up and down, trying to calm my breathing, but I couldn't.

If I had taken the bins out this wouldn't had happened.

If I had done something right for once, and just been a good daughter and a responsible person, everything would be okay.

Everytime I tried to call him, another wave of tears and panic rushed through me, and I wish it didn't because he was my only option. I had to call him.

I stood infront of my mirror and wiped the tears from my face, then took deep breaths and tried to remind myself that I could do this. Maybe living with him would be nicer. I mean, he wanted to get a dog, and he had a new car.

But I hadn't ever seen his house- he didn't invite us round.

What if he said no? Where would I go? Maybe if I waited it out mum would forgive me?

No.
That wouldn't happen any time soon.

Snatching the phone from my bed, I pressed call and stood by my open window to cool down, though my heart was pounding still.

He didn't pick up.

Okay. He could be in surgery. Maybe? No he wasn't a surgeon, he did something on the wards. I knew his friend Calum was just a normal doctor, or something, but I didn't have his number, so I tried Mike again.

Nothing.

Mum had probably told him not to pick up.

I rang again, and again- I ended up ringing 15 times before giving up, and sinking to my knees onto the floor.

As per, I was a total fuck up.

At some point, I wasn't sure when, I managed to crawl into bed and had fallen asleep for a while. One of my parents must have come in, because my window was shut and my light had been turned off.

It was a Saturday, so they were off work, and I was meant to be in work about 2 hours ago. On my phone, I had no missed calls from them, so I presumed mum had already told them I quit since she knew a couple of the people.

I did however have 10 missed called back from Michael, as well as 7 messages all telling me to call him back. Suddenly, it felt like everything crashed down on me again.

And I wanted to get out of here fast, so I did as he said, and it picked up immediately.

"Maya?"

"Mike?"

"Calum, your brother went to work and asked me to watch his phone for a call back,"

"Oh. It's okay,"

"I need a message to pass on, at least,"

"I... um," I took a deep breath, angry at myself for getting worked, "I got kicked out and I really need a place to stay,"

"You got kicked out? What for?"

"I'm not telling you,"

"Permanently kicked out?"

"Please just tell him so that I know if I have a bed to sleep in tonight or not,"

"I am gonna come and get you, he's at work so he's pretty unreachable,"

"No!"

"I thought you needed a place,"

"What if he doesn't want me there?"