44

Maya

I wasn't even ashamed to say I practically slept through the whole of Friday, through to Saturday.
Mike gave me the strong painkillers because he was sick of me whining, and they pretty much knocked me out.

When I woke up around Saturday afternoon, after sleeping on and off all morning, I genuinely had not felt this refreshed in my life.

"Michael,"

"Maya,"

"Can you see if my throat looks better?"

"Can you stop asking me that?" he laughed, "It will be getting better, you just need to have patience,"

"But I wanna ask my friends to come tomorrow,"

"You can ask them as long as you feel okay. You do look better,"

"She's awake!" Calum said, hugging me from behind, "How are you feeling?"

"Can you see if my throat looks any better?"

"Sure,"

"Thanks. Mike won't,"

"Looks a bit better to me,"

"Can you take my temperature too please?" I asked.

"Am I getting paid for this?"

"Please,"

"Maya, just sit down and think about what you'd like to eat,"

"Please," I said again, "I need to know,"

"Maya, you don't need to panic," Calum said, "you're getting better,"

"I hate being sick,"

"I can tell. You're getting better though, when you take the supplements and keep yourself fuelled up, your immune system will do its job,"

I sat down next to Michael and he gave me a hug, then put his hand on my forehead and cheek.

"Feels fine to me,"

"Okay,"

"I didn't realise you got a bit anxious about this,"

"I worry I might not get better,"

"You're doing great at taking the medicine, and keeping up with all the supplements Ash gave you. You'll feel much better soon,"

"I do a bit,"

"I can tell. What would you like to eat?"

"Erm. Pancakes,"

"Now that is a good choice,"

Cal brought his lunch to the table and put a blanket over my shoulders, so I laid with my head down while Michael cooked. I felt like I had a bit more energy today, but knew I couldn't push myself.

I asked my friends if they wanted to come over tomorrow, and they immediately said yes, which made me smile a bit. It was so fun to finally have people who liked me enough to hang out.

"Pancakes for my favourite Maya,"

"How many do you know?"

"Er, you,"

"Wow. I am honoured,"

"Good. I'm gonna grab a shower,"

He kissed the top of my head and left the room, so I ate the pancakes silently beside Calum, swinging my legs.

"My friends are coming tomorrow,"

"That'll be fun,"

"Then I am going back to school on Monday,"

"If you feel well enough,"

"I will,"

"Is school good then?"

"Yeah. It's like, no one even cares and no one knows, about what happened before,"

"I'm glad you get to have a clean slate and enjoy it, My'. I can't wait to hear all about your day on Monday,"

"For real?"

"For real,"

"Wanna watch a movie with me?"

"I'd love to,"

After we had eaten, we went to the living room and searched for a film, which took so long that Michael had chance to join us after his shower. Obviously, because he was a nerd, he found a good straight away.

Little things like wasting time watching films was a bit exciting for me. It sounded silly, but I never used to get the tv unless my parents were out of the house, and if I got caught I was being a terrible daughter.
Here, they loved movies and tv.

They loved everything here. Being here was just fun, most of the time, for some pretty normal reasons.

We all watched another film afterwards, then Michael and Calum started getting a bit hyped about ordering food and staying up late to watch more films, so we ordered pizza. I wasn't going to stay up late, but I would have a bit of pizza. They'd hyped me up a little.

"Do you guys feel like you're old?"

"We are not old,"

"Do you feel like adults?"

"Meh. We can behave like adults if we want but it's much more fun to not,"

"Are we not adulting enough for you?" Cal asked.

"I just wondered,"

"Honestly, sometimes it freaks me out that we're not still 15 playing music in a garage with you crawling round unplugging everything every 5 minutes,"

"Fucking hell you were so insistent on us shutting up so that you could sit in the middle of the space with all your toys," Mike laughed, "Luke always folded first, he'd start playing with you,"

"Clearly I had important business to do,"

"Stacking blocks! Very important!" he mocked.

"You could've kicked me out,"

"You had a hissy fit if we tried. The only house you'd leave us alone in was Cal's because Joy would give you chocolate and play with you,"

"I just loved you,"

"You made it more fun, for sure," Calum said, "I just can't believe you're now big enough to be the one playing the guitar, and doing all the cool stuff we did,"

"What? Reading alone in my room?"

"I reckon you and your friends will be up to no good soon, it's just what happens. And the best part is, we aren't your parents, so we can't even get that mad,"