11

Maya

"If you only walk out of here with three books I'm gonna be so mad,"

"They're expensive!"

"Okay? You love reading, I wanna make sure you have new books,"

"How many?"

"You've gotta get at least 10,"

"No,"

"Come on, get choosing,"

He took the three I was holding, then waited for me to look; the bookshelves were way bigger here, and it was quite overwhelming.

"I dunno what I want,"

"There's no rush,"

"For real?"

"For real,"

"Okay... please can you help me find the fantasy section?"

Once we had found it, we looked through the books and I found a few from the series I hadn't completed yet, so I added them to the pile.

"Are you definitely not pranking me?"

"Maya, please just pick some books, it's not a prank,"

"I don't want anymore,"

"Fine, you can look online,"

"Can we go home?"

"I promised you a coffee?"

"Okay, after that then,"

"Sounds good to me,"

I followed him to the checkout and we bought all the books, then he carried the bag for me and took us across the road to get coffee.

My heart was beating kinda fast, which freaked me out because I was usually okay with being out. My job wasn't exactly an environment I could be quiet in, and shopping was a luxury so usually I enjoyed it- I guessed everything was still so new that I wasn't quite sure what to do.

We both got the same coffee, then took it to a small corner table, though it wasn't busy anyway.

"Have you had a good day?"

"Mhm,"

"Maybe we could watch a movie at home?"

"Maybe,"

"Are you okay?"

"Just a bit panicky,"

He reached over and squeezed my hand, then took it and tilted his head to the side, his swooped hair not moving which almost made me giggle.

"You're safe with me, I got you,"

"I know,"

"We will keep coming out so that you get to know the area, you'll probably come with other people too, so it'll become second nature,"

"What other people?"

"Depends what you do!"

"I don't wanna go to school,"

It was a lie. I did want to go- I needed to go.

But it scared me so much. I didn't want a repeat of last time, and I didn't think I was capable. It felt like a waste of time, and that I would be setting myself up.

"Take your time settling in okay? We are all here to help,"

"I keep wanting to go home,"

"It's gonna be hard not being in a familiar place, but you will get used to it, and you have me as a tour guide!"