{Plot 3}• CHAPTER III

Start from the beginning

"Audrey" I heard my name from behind me, turning around I spotted Anaise and Greer running towards me. I opened my arms and they jumped in, squeezing my form affectionately.

"I've missed you two so much, I'm sorry I didn't come sooner. How is she?" We pulled away, holding hands together. They both looked so sad and their eyes had lost that loving gleam they once held.

"Her condition hasn't improved, if her fever and skin color doesn't improve in the next two days then we'll know" Greer tried to give me a reassuring smile when she noticed my face drop. This just meant Orchid wasn't recovering, it was my fault. I shouldn't have ran away, I should have tried to help her get the dress off. "Hey" Anaise's hold on my shoulder brought me out of my thoughts. "It's okay"

"It's not your fault Audrey" I tried to give Greer a weak smile but I just couldn't muster the courage. I looked around, only now noticing Astrid's reoccurring absence. "Where's Astrid? I don't think I've seen her since my accident"

"She went home to visit our aunt in a neighbouring village, she'll be back soon. I wrote to inform her about Orchid"

"We should be by her side and help any way we can" I nodded in agreement as we made our way to her hospital room. Walking in I felt all the dread wash over me like a tsunami when my gaze landed on her. Tears pricked my vision, my hand going to cover my lips and silence the whimper that had escaped. Her unconscious form was laid down on the bed, crimson blood dripping from her nostril and landing on her lip. Her pale vein dusted eyelids were shut, her lashes fluttering against her thin cheek bones, her sunken cheeks and chapped blue lips. I turned away from the scene, memories of that terrible encounter coming back

It should have been me. "I don't think her majesty should be here" Maximus finally spoke up, letting everyone know of his presence.

"No i-"

"His majesty ordered me to keep you away from this so please come with me" he urged me out. I turned to look at Anaise and Greer, silently asking them if it was alright.

"Go Audrey, you witnessed her poisoning. It won't be good for your mental health to be around her right now" Anaise smiles comfortingly.

"Yes Audrey,go" Greer stepped forward, playing a hand on my shoulder. They both nodded in unison. "We will stop by your chambers later"

Giving Orchid one last look I followed Maximus out of the room with tears still rolling down my cheeks. I needed to find a way to fix this and that was exactly what I was going to do

♡♡♡

The singing of the birds, the wind blowing gently into my hair, pushing it across my face as I watched the afternoon unravel in front of my eyes. I inhales a deep fresh breath, feeling the weight on my shoulders lighten a bit. I regarded the bees as they danced from one flower to the other, pollen grains sticking to their stingers. I appreciated the view and the amount of piece it brought me to be here, out in the open alone with myself.

I traced my finger across the binders of the book, my curiosity had left me restless once again and I couldn't help but have the book with me once again. I had seen so many of it around the castle and now finding a pile of them in Darius' room was the final straw. I wanted to know who was bringing them and where they came from. Anything to keep my mind off Orchid and the pit I felt growing in my chest. I hadn't spoken to Darius and I didn't know what he would do to Lord Odin, whatever it was he would get what he deserved and that was for sure. I heard quiet footsteps behind me, their faint sound like that of someone who was trying to be sneaky and avoind being noticed. I let a smile slip onto my lips knowing exactly who it was, the big Alpha king was trying to be sneaky.