Chapter 36

Glean was right. A few days have passed but my wounds still look raw and are as painful as ever. I don't really care about the scarring because I know no one will ever see my back anyway. Especially when I am pretending to be a man.

I did leave Jasmine a quick letter before we were dragged back from Jemsi but I don't know if I will see her again. I miss having a friend to speak with. I can't be open with Leon because there seems to be a strange atmosphere between us.

On the fifth day of resting in bed, I decide to take a walk to cure my boredom. Leon has given me strict orders to remain on bed rest until I have healed but I am extremely bored.

It doesn't seem like the king cares whether I am alive or dead so I should be safe. Have I only transmigrated here to receive punishments?

"Dillon?" I smile when I see him in the garden.

He seems surprised to see me and waves awkwardly. "Cart! You ran away and didn't contact me about the... mission." He whispers the last word as if he is afraid of someone hearing when there is no one except us here.

"Sorry, I was forced to leave with His Highness and didn't have time to inform you that there was no one suspicious at the ball." I say truthfully.

"I heard you got whipped over a hundred times. How are you doing?"

I shake my head, "I'm still alive." I chuckle lightly.

Dillon balls his hand, "It wasn't your choice to leave that night. It was Prince Leon's fault for fleeing with you. He should be the one getting punished."

"Shhh... Don't say that. Leon didn't do it on purpose. He just doesn't want to be forced into a loveless marriage." I explain.

"He shouldn't have gotten you involved. He is a very selfish man." Dillon's brown eyes widen, "Did he find out it was you?"

I nod, "He isn't stupid." Which scares me because he could easily discover my real identity too.

"No way! How did he know?"

I explain the events which unfolded after we fled the ball.

"There was no way he wouldn't recognise me without makeup."

"Do you think the assassin was hired by one of the nobles?" Dillon asks suddenly.

There is a good chance of the assassin being hired to do someone else's dirty job but it will be difficult to find out which noble sent him.

"If so, how will we find out who holds a grudge against Leo– the crown prince?" I muse.

Dillon seems deep in thought. "Let me make a new plan."

I nod and turn to the blooming scarlet roses infront of me. Their fragrance is stronger than it was back in my other life.

"People are like roses." I say quietly. "Beautiful but quick to put up their thorns which can prick others."

"Are you talking about the prince?" Dillon asks curiously.

I shake my head. "Myself." I lie. Prince Leon has been the one person who I can comfortably be myself with but haven't I received my punishment for unjustly taking him for granted? I need to keep a distance between us from now on.

A few days after I decided to keep a distance between us, my wish is answered when the Davici siblings make a trip to the palace.