Chapter 28

"Car!"

I smile at Jasmine as she stares at me in surprise. I have removed Leon's blindfold and he is currently staring around the inn.

Hurriedly, I pull Jasmine away into a room and explain the situation to her. She gasps in shock but nods.

"Leave it to me! You can stay for as long as you wish. I can't believe you kidnapped the Crown Prince!"

I laugh, "Why do you make it sound like I'm a criminal? He should thank me for saving his ass."

She frowns, "But how did you get here? It takes a few days from the capital."

"It's a trade secret." I joke quickly. She doesn't know about Glean or my magic. I don't know whether I should be telling anyone about them.

"So you're going by 'Caroline'?" Jas confirms.

I nod, "If I say my real name, he will definitely investigate and I can't let him know that I am his personal servant who is supposed to be a man either."

"Ligas will be heading out of town for business for a few days so I'll make an excuse to tag along so you two can make yourselves at home in our absence." Jas winks.

My face warms up and I shake my head, "No way! Don't leave me alone with him! He will definitely find out. Can't you stay and help me lie to him?" I beg her desperately.

She laughs and pats my back, "Darling, I don't want to be a sinner."

"You're calling me a sinner?" I gasp dramatically.

"Of course lying is a sin."

I scowl at her. "I can't trust anyone."

Jas winks and leaves the room. I didn't think she would leave us by ourselves. Sure, I have spent a lot of time alone with the prince but back then I was a man and his servant. Right now, I am a woman and his fake fiancée.

I cover my face with my hands. Why do I feel weird?

Snap out of it Carmella!

"How did we get here?"

I forgot he would have questions. Jas has already left, leaving just the two of us alone in this inn.

Biting my lip, I lie, "We got here in a carriage."

"It would take days in a carriage."

Why is he smart? "It was powered by magic gems so we got here pretty fast." Magic gems are small rocks which contain magic. They can be used to enhance normal, everyday items. Mages can create them by adding a small amount of their magic into rocks. I heard some even sell them for a hefty price. If need be, I could look into venturing in the business myself as a last resort.

As soon as we arrived, I let Glean return to the palace to keep an eye on Raph. Leon did mention that he would ask someone from the palace to take care of him whilst he was at the ball but for safety measures, I have also sent Glean.

"Have we met before?"

Startled, I jump as I realise how close he has stepped whilst I was lost in my thoughts. He asked me earlier too. Does he suspect me?

"Something seems familiar..." He continues staring and I move some hair over my face again. "By chance... have you got a sibling or relative working in the palace?"

I shake my head and step back. "It's already early morning, we should get some rest. We've been awake all night."

Leon nods and I lead the way to the bedrooms. I take the room I was in last time I was here and Leon chooses the one next door. I show him where the bathroom is and then enter my room. It looks clean and just how I left it. I smile and lie on the bed.

I'll go and wash up once Leon has been. It's been a long night and all I want to do is sleep. We haven't eaten yet but Jas left some leftovers for us in the fridge. I don't think I have any energy to eat anything.

Getting out of this dress is going to be a nightmare. I stand up and start taking it off but I remember that Dillon helped me with the zipper when I wore it. Will Leon help? It's risky but I hate being this uncomfortable when I know Jas has left me some spare pyjamas.

I wait until I hear the bathroom door open. Then I creep out of my room. Leon is in a towel and my eyes travel around his muscles. When does he train or exercise? Is this nature's gift?

"Are you done?" He coughs and I see the blood rush up his neck. I blush and look away.

"S–sorry." I apologise in embarrassment.

"Did I say I was angry?"

"Huh, what do you–"

I gulp as he flexes proudly. "I don't mind. Especially if it's a beautiful woman."

My heart flutters. Is he flirting with me?

"C–can you help me with the zip?" I ask, avoiding eye contact with him.

His face turns red as he nods. I step closer and face my back to him. He slowly pulls the zipper and the places where his fingers brush against my skin feel like they're on fire.

"Th–there, all done." He says and I move away.

"Thank you." I briskly walk to the bathroom and sigh in relief once I have closed the door behind me. I catch myself in the mirror and stare in horror at the state of my makeup. I should remove it before sleeping. I search all the cabinets and finally find a makeup remover and a pack of cotton pads. I'll have to use these for now and repay Jasmine later.

I bend over the sink and remove my makeup which takes a long time since it was applied heavily to disguise me. After I have showered, I wipe myself with the spare towel which Jas gave me.

"Where's my toothbrush? I'm sure I left it here..."

My eyes widen in shock as I come face to face with Leon who is now in some pyjamas. Did he forget his brush?! His eyes travel over my face and I realise why he suddenly looks like he has seen a ghost.

"Carter?!"

Damn it! I forgot to lock the bathroom door!