Chapter 7

I wake up to a loud scream and the feel of a presence near me. My eyes flutter open to meet a pair of azure eyes which are filled with horror.

"What are you screaming about so early in the morning?" I groan. I don't feel well.

"Y-you! What are you doing in my room?! What is that blood? Did you do something to me last night?!"

I laugh as Gaylen looks at me in panic. "I was too tired from taking care of you to spare energy to do anything."

"What do you mean? Why did you sleep here then?"

"Calm down. You were too drunk to ride the horse so Mark and Emmett kindly brought us back. They both left you on your bed but then you thought it was a good idea to throw up on yourself." I wrinkle my nose as I remember the incident.
"Guess who was the only person in the room at the time?" I gesture to myself.
"I couldn't leave you sleeping in your own vomit so I had to remove your clothes and clean you a little."

"Then... what about the blood?"

I glance at the stain. The duvet on my side is red.

"I don't know where it's–"

"Wait, hold on!" Gaylen suddenly jumps to my side. "You're bleeding Carmella."

"Huh?" I glance down at where he is holding my arm and see the wound. "I didn't realise I was injured. It must have been yesterday when that man tried to attack me with a knife."

Truth is, I hadn't even felt any pain, well not up until Gaylen showed me the wound. I can now feel the sting as I take a closer look.

"Stay there Carmella. I'll bring you something to clean it up with."

I nod and watch him leave the room. How did I end up sleeping beside him on his bed?! But is it just me or has Gaylen softened up to me a little? He doesn't seem as cold as usual today.

The door opens and I wait for Gaylen to come in with the ointment but instead, my eyes widen as Fern steps inside.

"Gaylen, have you seen..." Her voice fades out as her eyes land on me. "Car! What are you doing here?"

I twiddle my fingers anxiously. What explanation should I give her? Will she think something happened between her brother and I or will she believe me when I tell her the truth?

"We...um... your brother was drunk yesterday and as you know, I can't ride a horse so Mark and Emmett helped us return but then your brother threw up after they left and I was the only person here at the time so I cleaned him up and I somehow ended up sleeping here." I explain.

"Oh, is that what happened? I feel bad for you Car, Gaylen can be a handful when he is drunk. But it's strange that he got drunk so easily. He is usually fine when he goes drinking with his friends."

"Really? Maybe he drank a lot yesterday." I say as I wonder if anything is troubling him.

"Where is he anyway?" Fern asks, glancing around the room.

"He went to get something to clean my arm." I hold up my arm to show her the wound.

"Oh no, how did you get hurt Car?! Who did it? I'll go and avenge you." She puffs up her chest and flexes her invisible muscles.

I laugh, "Thanks Fern but it's not a big deal. It's just a small cut, it's far from the heart."

She walks over and pats my shoulder, "You still need to be careful Car. Who will be my bodyguard if you get injured like this?"

I've had an inkling that Fern Davici seems extremely attached and clingy with me. It's actually not a bad feeling to be needed and worried over.

"Don't worry, I'll be more careful." I promise.

The bedroom door opens and Gaylen returns, holding a tub. He sits it on the bedside table and then glances at Fern, "What brings you here? Shouldn't you be busy studying today?"

"Studying?" I ask in confusion. I didn't know Fern was still a student.

"Oh, I just remembered I have an etiquette class today." She says, "I have to go. Don't get hurt again Car!"

I wave as she leaves the room. "You have etiquette classes here?" I ask in surprise. Do they actually have classes to teach manners? If this was my past life, it would have been a great idea to have etiquette classes because some people certainly needed them.

"Yes, since we're a noble family, we're required to take the etiquette classes until we turn twenty." He explains, dipping a cotton bud into the small antiseptic ointment. I clench my teeth as he slowly dabs it on my arm. "Fern has a year left before her debut."

I frown, "Debut? Isn't that when singers officially show themselves to the public for the first time? Wait... Is Fern an idol?!" I ask in astonishment.

Gaylen raises his eyebrows, "What do you mean by 'idol'?"

"Is she a singer?" I ask, realising he doesn't understand what an idol is.

He chuckles, "What made you think that? She isn't a singer."

"Then, by debut..."

"She'll be getting ready to find a husband."

"What?!" My voice is louder than it was supposed to be. "She's getting married?"

Gaylen gives me an odd stare. "You sound like you have never heard of it before."

I wave my hand, "What do you mean? O-of course I have heard of it." I lie through my teeth.

He doesn't look convinced but he finishes bandaging my arm. "Make sure you don't get the bandage wet for at least two weeks." He advises.

I smile and salute him with my other hand, "Aye doctor."

"Strange..." He says suddenly, his eyes staring through me intensely. "You don't seem like a person who was brought up in poverty or slavery. What kind of family do you have?"

How should I answer him? I don't know who my family are in this world but back in my previous life, they had cut me out and wanted nothing to do with me.

"I... I don't know." I say honestly.

"Fern mentioned you had an issue with your memory. It's okay, don't worry about it. I am sure you will meet them again someday." He smiles softly and reaches his hand over, gently patting my head.

"I'm not a child who needs your pity." I scowl.

"I know but you're a klutz." He retorts. "You'll have to take it easy in training for the next few days and make sure not to get injured again."

I nod obediently. Is his iciness towards me finally melting? He still has a long way to go but knowing that he is warming up to me makes me happy.

"Are there any libraries here which have books about time and magic?" I ask. Maybe I can figure out a way to return to my past world.

He narrows his eyes, "Why are you looking for those? Only a few people have been able to master the art of magic." Is he suspicious of me?

"Oh, I'm just interested in the topic. Of course I'm not trying to become a mage or anything." I explain.

"I have a friend who works in the biggest library here. We'll go once your wound is better."

"We?"

He laughs, "You would probably end up getting lost if I sent you on your own."

I glare at him. He is definitely enjoying insulting me. "Hey! I know how to follow directions."

"I know but it's best if I come along."

I frown, "Wait, are you worried about me?"

Gaylen turns his face away from me, "Why would I be? The faster we get rid of you the better."

"Just watch!" I say in irritation, "I won't leave! You'll be stuck with me forever!" I don't know why I feel angry at his remark. Have I become too comfortable living here?