Chapter 22

"He is pretty obedient." I smile as I pat Raph to sleep on my bed.

Leon smiles but avoids my eyes. I know he is embarrassed about crying his eyes out earlier but we're equal now since I also had my crying session in front of him.

"You're not even going to look here?" I tease.

"What are you talking about? Of course I'm looking."

A few weeks pass in a flash and Raphael becomes part of my life. I feel like I am slowly turning into a nanny. Leon has explained that his parents are aware of Raph and the situation but have given him a strict instruction that once he marries, Raph will be taken to an orphanage.

Leon seems to be unaware of the impending crown princess selection on his birthday and I don't want to be the bringer of bad news.

"I'm going to the training ground now. Please take care of Raph." I say to Leon who nods as he reads his book.

It is time for the weekly training. Dillon has become my sparring partner and doesn't give me a chance to be with anyone else. I sigh as we lie on the ground after a fierce battle.

"How many times a year can you leave the palace?" I ask.

He hands me a water bottle. "I warned you before you came. Don't tell me you forgot. You only get a few days off, especially servants and since you're His Highness' personal servant, you probably get even less time."

"Bummer. I haven't been out properly since I came." I complain.

Dillon pats my head, "Don't worry, if it becomes unbearable, I'll sneak you out."

I laugh, "Thanks Dillon. Will you take the punishment for me too?"

He shrugs, "Just saying." His big hand plays with my curly hair again.

"Hey, st–"

"Stop that!"

My eyes widen as a shadow falls over me and yanks Dillon's hand off my head.

"What kind of jerk–" His eyes widen too as he realises who is standing over me. He breaks into a sweat and bows slightly, "Y-Your Highness."

"Come with me Carter." Leon says, ignoring Dillon. He takes my hand and pulls me along. His fingers intertwined with mine makes my heart light and fluttery.

Why is he angry? Did something happen to upset him?

"Leon, is something wrong?" I ask worriedly, stepping away from him once we are in his chamber. I am fully aware of how I stink of sweat.

"Nothing. Raph was missing you."

"What?" I ask incredulously. "You dragged me here for that?"

"Mama!" Raph runs to me with his chubby legs and jumps up and down excitedly.

I laugh and pick him up, "Next time, you should keep him distracted whilst I'm training." I say to Leon who still looks moody.

He keeps staring at me intensely and I feel uncomfortable.

"What is it? Can't you say it like a normal person?"

Leon glares at me. "Are you saying I'm not normal?"

I sigh. I should have known he is looking to start a fight. "Forget it." I mutter and play with Raph instead.

"He can do it so... can I?" Leon ask suddenly in a quiet voice.

"Who, what, where, when, how and why?" I ask. Sometimes I wonder how I make sense of this prince's nonsense.

He carefully stretches his arm and I stare at him in confusion as his hand touches my hair. Impulsively, I flinch away and Leon looks visibly hurt.

"What happened?" I ask, still not understanding this man.

"Why did you move away from me but let that knight touch you?"

I think back and realise he is talking about Dillon.

"You want to touch my hair?" I ask, finally connecting the barely visible dots.

He nods, his face tinting red.

I chuckle, "You're more harder to understand than baby Raph here."

Leon seems to regain his composure as he reaches out again. This time, I do my best not to flinch.

"Why do people have an obsession with my hair?" I mutter.

"Because it's pretty and beautiful." Leon says and his voice is sincere as his sky blue eyes wander over my face. He is much taller than me and like this, my face is against his chest.

I want to hide my scarlet face and stop my racing heart as he gazes at me with an intensity which could set me on fire. What is he saying? Has he discovered that I am a woman?

A knock on the door interrupts us and I place Raph down and step towards the door.

"Hi, how may I help?" I ask. It's one of Leon's knight friends. I've only seen two friends visit him from time to time.

He pushes pass me aggressively and I end up falling. Why is he always rude?

"Your birthday banquet will be held next week Your Highness. Is there anything you would like us to organise for it?"

Leon is silent for a moment before he looks at his friend. "Walker, don't you think there's something important you should do before asking me anything?"

Walker looks at him in confusion, "Greet you?" He proceeds to bow formally.

"You must be losing your memory early." Leon says coldly. He gestures to me and I panic internally.

"Apologise to Carter. You just knocked him down."

Walker looks like he wants to skin me alive as he bites his lip and grunts something which I assume is an apology.

Leon glares at him, "If I was Carter, I wouldn't want you to apologise at all if you were going to sound like a strangled pig." He says harshly.

"Sorry Carter. I didn't mean to push you down." He finally says.

"Bad! Bad!"

I gasp in horror as Raph attacks Walker's legs with his hands. I forgot he was here too. Hurriedly, I pick Raph up and apologise to Walker. I take Raph away from the men and give him a sweet I had saved.

"Raph darling, you can't hit people like that. It's not good." I explain to him gently.

"Not good?" He asks, staring up at me with confusion in his beautiful blue eyes. He looks like a small angel.

I pat his head, "You shouldn't hit anyone."

Taking a glance across the room, I find both Walker and Leon watching us.

Leon chuckles, "You're a brilliant parent."

"Parent?" It makes me warm. As if I am part of a family.

Walker whom I have never seen with anything other than a cold, stoic face is even smiling a little.