Chapter 5

Knocking on the door, I call through. "Fern, are you awake? We have some errands to do today so I'll be following you to town."

I hear some scuffling and then the door opens to reveal Fern. She looks a little dishevelled as she stares at me with her big azure eyes.

I chuckle and shake my head. "I'll help you do your hair."

"What?"

I grin and gently push her back inside the room. "You have to look presentable since we're going out today."

She obediently sits at her dressing table and I gently comb her beautiful thick blond hair. It shimmers from the daylight filtering in through the windows.

"Carmella," She turns around and grabs my hand after I have placed her comb down.

"What is it Fern?" I ask with concern. It sounds like it is something urgent.

"Don't get too close to Mark Levi."

Surprised at her request, I chuckle. "Why? He's a nice person."

She shakes her head, "Please trust me on this Car."

"Car?" I laugh. I never thought she would give me a nickname but I am happy that she sees me as a friend. "Of course I trust you. I can't cut him off but I'll be vigilant around him from now on."

Fern smiles, "Shall we start going?"

I take her hand and help her stand up before we walk out of the room. There are horses waiting for us outside of the mansion. I bite my lip anxiously. I've never rode on a horse before.

"Is there no other transport?" I ask, glancing around.

I feel Fern's hand touch my arm as she looks at me. "Is something wrong?"

Can I tell her or will I sound pathetic? Fern isn't the type of person to laugh at me. I lean my mouth to her ear and confess. She simply nods and smiles at me reassuringly.

"I have an idea..." 

"Wha–" Before I can ask, she has already ran back into the mansion.

As I twiddle my fingers nervously, I wonder what she has planned. To be honest, I am looking forward to visiting the nearby town. 

"You look like you're waiting to be informed of your execution date."

My eyes widen and my heart beats rapidly as I am startled by the unexpected voice from behind.

"Why are you here?" I ask, hoping what I predict is going to happen isn't true.

He grins, his blue eyes full of amusement as they reflect the sky. "To accompany you. My dear sister informed me that you got injured during training recently so she has asked me to share the horse with you."

I grin. That girl is capable enough to fool her brother. No, more importantly, did he just say we will share a horse?! What does that mean? We will be sitting together?

Gaylen chuckles and walks over to the brown horse. "Your expressions change like the wind."

"Are you saying I'm fickle?" I say, crossing my arms as I watch him adjust the horse's mount. He places one foot in the stirrup and then pulls himself up, swinging his other leg onto the other side of the horse.

"Take it how you like." He answers with a smirk and holds down a hand to me.

I ignore it and follow his method of climbing from earlier. It's not as difficult as I thought.

"You're a quick learner." Gaylen says as I sit behind him. "You should hold on like this if you don't want to fall." He suddenly tugs on my arms and wraps them around his waist. My chest is almost touching him and my face is warm. His back is broad and I can't see anything pass his tall shoulders.