Chapter 32

Since that day, Leon has been acting like a stranger towards me. He seems stiff whenever I speak to him and gives me one word responses. I don't know what is happening inside his head but something is telling me that he is angry at me but I have no idea what for.

"What do you want to eat today?" I ask him as I tie the apron and check the fridge.

"Anything." He mutters, not even bothering to look up from the newspaper he is reading.

I sigh. I am frustrated with his attitude. How can we continue living together if he is being flippant all the time? Was all that nonsense about keeping me by his side a lie? Maybe being the crown prince gives him a free pass to mouth fake promises.

Stomping towards where he is sitting at the table, I rip the newspaper away from his hands and slam my palms on the table.

"Why can't you answer me properly?! What is wrong with you? Do you think we can stay together 'forever' if you're being an asshole? You're a grown man for goodness sake! If you want something, say it. If you have an issue or if I have done something wrong, tell me!"

He blinks in surprise, obviously not expecting me to raise my voice. "What are you doing?" He asks, sounding angry.

I plaster a false grin on my face, "What does it look like Your Highness?" I ask sarcastically. "I want you to tell me why you've been avoiding and ignoring me."

His blue eyes are as dark as the ocean as he stares at me. "I haven't been avoiding you."

"Really? Then are you telling me I've imagined all this and it's in my head? I'm not here to argue with you. I want us to come to an understanding like adults so we can continue living under the same roof." I explain, trying to keep my voice calm.

I see him gulp as if he is nervous. "Don't leave me." He says quietly.

"I won't if you answer my question." I say. "What has upset you?"

For a moment, I feel like he is searching for something as he gazes into my eyes. Why does my chest feel like a butterfly cage at such a crucial moment?

"You..."

I knew it was me so I am not surprised in the least with his response but what irks me is that he doesn't elaborate at all after that.

"Me what?"

He shakes his head and looks down at the table, "You're just a servant but..."

"I'm sorry Leon. I don't know what I've done to upset and anger you but take this as my apology alright? I'll make you something delicious to make up for it but please don't avoid me anymore. It's suffocating."

As I turn back and walk to the freezer, I feel his gaze on my back. Why is the crown prince such a frustrating and confusing person?

Today, I'll make him some sweet and sour fried chicken and a carrot cake to cheer him up. Sweet desserts are always a great mood booster. The only thing which is causing me to feel anxious is his ongoing stares burning into my back. If his eyes could shoot bullets, I would be dead by now with over a hundred holes in my body.

After I have finished cooking and baking, I bring the food over to the table where Leon has been sitting all along. Does he not have anything to do? Then again, maybe not doing anything is the safest option for him right now since the whole purpose for us to come here was to flee from his father and the royal soldiers.

I wince as I lay the pot of fried chicken down. My shoulder is still healing so putting too much pressure on it still hurts.

"You should rest after we eat Car." Leon says, "I'll do the dishes so don't worry and rest so you can heal faster."

I smile as I place a fried chicken leg on his plate. "Thank you. It should heal soon." Has the prince ever washed a dish in his life? As soon as I realise, my anxiety increases. "Actually, I think I should do it Leon." I say quickly. There is no way I am risking him breaking Jasmine's dishes.

"No, it's fine. Leave it to me."

I purse my lips. It will definitely be anything but fine. "Alright. But let me help you. We'll do them together." I say.

He smiles, "That sounds good."

That's how I end up tutoring the prince on how to wash dishes. Surprisingly, he is a quick learner.

I laugh as he gets some of the washing up liquid on his nose. "You have some soap on you." I say, gesturing to his nose.

He looks down at his nose, his eyes crossing, making him look cute and dorky. He flaps his hand but misses the soap bubble.

Chuckling, I reach over and wipe it for him. However, turns out, it only makes it worse since I also have soap on my hands. I make eye contact with Leon and we end up freezing as a foreign atmosphere surrounds us. I am aware of each breath he exhales and the way the light reflects in his sky blue eyes, creating an illusion of waves flowing within them.

Leon is leaning towards me as I gulp nervously. His body closer than before. What is happening? Doesn't he see me as a man? Or maybe it is true about him preferring men. My heart squeezes at the thought. How will he react if he finds out my gender? Will I be hated by him too?

My thoughts are interrupted by Leon suddenly holding my chin, tilting my face towards him. My heart races in anxiety, excitement and a feeling I can't quite place a finger on. Fear, the kind of fear which gives me an adrenaline rush.

I watch as his eyelids lower slightly and he gazes at my mouth as if it is the only thing he can see. He lowers his mouth until I can taste his minty breath. Has he got a hidden stash of mints somewhere? When did he eat it?

His gentle touch on the side of my face with his other hand, causes me to intake a breath as I fail to steady my erratic heartbeats.

My eyelids automatically close as he draws nearer.

Something tells me that I should push him away, however, when I feel his slightly rough lips against mine, I find myself melting into the forbidden kiss.

All sense leaves my body as he continues dancing his lips against me. I respond instantly to every move as if I have learnt the steps to this strange, exciting waltz.

I am enjoying this more than I should. The little nagging conscience at the back of my head which keeps telling me to break away is drowned out by the rhythm of my loud heartbeats.

He slips his tongue into my mouth and I twist mine around it like a snake. I hope he can't hear the loud beating of my heart as thrill, adrenaline and excitement course through my veins.

My senses return when Leon moves his hand down to my top. If we go any further, he will discover my real gender. I can't throw all my efforts to hide myself out of the window this easily.

I quickly push him away with all my strength and then step backwards for good measure. Why do I feel guilty when it was Leon who initiated this?

"I... I need to go and clean my room." I say and make a beeline for the stairs.

My heart is still racing and my cheeks are flushed when I stare in the mirror. What have I done?