Chapter 2

After sternly ordering Fern to hide further away from where I am, I manage to catch the person who shot the arrow. He seems to be working alone. He screams in pain as I kick his legs and sit on his back whilst bending his arms backwards so he is unable to move.

"Why did you attack me?" I ask threateningly. "If you don't answer, I will cut your fingers off, one by one."

"G-get off me first!" He moans.

I chuckle loudly, "No way. I won't let you go. Tell me the truth or else..."

"You kidnapped the young Miss!" He suddenly says. "How dare you take our Miss away! Of course I was trying to kill you!"

I frown, "Hold on. You think I kidnapped someone?! And young Miss? Who's that? Are you misunderstanding something?"

"I clearly saw you dragging the young Miss here! She looked haggard and wounded. Did you torture her? Our people will never let you go!" He says angrily.

I sigh. "I still have no idea what you're talking about. If you're trying to confuse me by lying, it won't work buddy."

"I'm not! You-"

"Rey?!"

Both of us glance up to find Fern staring at us in shock and horror with her beautiful blue eyes.

"Rey, why are you here?!" She asks, staring at the man under me.

"Miss, please help me." He whines.

"You know him Fern?" I ask in surprise.

She nods, "You can let him go Carmella."

"But he's the one who shot the arrow." I say, not moving.

"Miss..." The culprit whimpers.

"Carmella, please get off him. He looks like he's about to pass out."

"Oh really?" I stare at him and stand up. "So where's this Miss of yours?" I ask as he slowly gets up, looking pale.

He glances at Fern. "This is my young Miss of course. You kidnapped her!"

"What did you say Rey?" Fern asks, furrowing her blond eyebrows.

"Oh, he keeps saying I kidnapped his young Miss." I explain with a shrug. "He seems mistaken."

Fern suddenly bursts into laughter. Rey and I stare at her in surprise.

"You got it wrong Rey! Carmella is actually my saviour! She rescued me from the kidnappers."

Rey stares at me with his brown eyes, "S-sorry." He mumbles.

I chuckle and step forward, ruffling his dark brown hair as he flinches in fear. Now that he is in front of me, I can see that he is definitely in his early twenties and his clothes are dull and ragged.

"I must apologise for him Carmella." Fern says worriedly. "I'm sorry for the way he treated you."

I smile, "It's fine Fern. I don't mind. It was just a small misunderstanding anyway."

"Small misunderstanding?! You threatened to chop my fingers off!" Rey protests in anger. "And how dare you call young Miss by just her name!"

"Rey, shut up."

My eyes widen as I hear Fern order him harshly. She glares at him before smiling at me and stepping forward, interlocking her slender fingers with mine.

"Let's go home Carmella."

"What about him?" I gesture behind us with my thumb as we start walking.

"He'll follow us anyway. I can't believe he attacked you because he thought you kidnapped me." She mutters.