Chapter 15

A week flies by and I remain in bed for three more days just to avoid any suspicion about my rapidly healed shoulder. Gaylen hasn't made any further contact after that day and I am glad he has given up. There is no way I will return like a fool to a place where I am not wanted.

Emmett left a few days ago since he had to continue working in the capital and it has been quiet since. Jasmine and her husband, Ligas, have kept me company so I don't get bored whilst on bed rest.

After Jasmine has checked my shoulder to confirm that it has healed, I decide to continue my job hunt. It doesn't look like many people are hiring in this town. I might have to search for a job further out. Whilst I've been living here, I have done some research in the small town library.

I haven't found anything about transmigration through time and space or reincarnation but what I have found are books about magic. I am sure Gaylen mentioned they were banned and could only be accessed at the Tower of Magic.

Could this town be keeping illegal books here? It has nothing to do with me but the information is interesting and helpful in increasing my knowledge about my newfound abilities.

There are also books regarding the monsters which roam in this world. Those cerdogs from before are just one of many.

"Jas, I'll be going out of town for a few days to see if I can find a job." I call as I take my small bag of clothes and necessities with me. I need to earn money so I can move forward.

"You're leaving already? Have you got everything? Don't forget to stay indoors at night and lock all the doors. Take care Car."

I chuckle and hug her. "I'll be back Jas." She reminds me of a fussy mother.

"Come back as soon as you can." She sniffles as I wave and step out of the door. Jasmine follows me out and watches as I walk away.

After walking a short distance, I turn a corner and glance around, making sure no one is here.

"Glean, you can come out now." I say.

A burst of bright gold light flashes infront of me, causing me to blink. When I reopen my eyes, the magnificent phoenix stands proudly on the ground.

"I am ready Master. Where do you wish to fly to?"

"I don't know the places here but let's go to the next town first." I say.

As Glean flies through the sky, I keep my eyes closed. I am still not used to being this high. It reminds me of the cliffs from which I fell.

"We're here Master."

I open my eyes and look around. Glean has stopped in someone's garden this time.

Quickly, I climb down from her back and tell her to transform to her smaller body. I don't need anyone digging into us.

This town looks bigger than Jemsi. There are many shops and businesses and even a whole street just for traders. I can probably find a job here.

"Master, you're being followed." Glean whispers softly into my ear as she sits on my shoulder.

I frown. Who could be following me? I just got here and haven't spoken to anyone yet. Surely, we can't have been followed all the way from Jemsi because we flew here.

Let's check who it is. I walk at my normal pace and turn into one of the shops. Once I am inside, I hide behind a big box and turn around to watch the doorway.

My eyes widen as Glean's words come true. A tall figure enshrouded in a long black cloak enters. They glance in each direction, clearly searching for me. Who is it? Why are they after me? I don't think I have upset anyone in this world besides the Davicis. Unless... could this person be sent by Fern's father?

I need to run and hide somewhere where they won't be able to find me. I don't think I can return to Jasmine's inn anymore. I don't want to put her or her husband in danger.

"Are you okay?"

I turn my head and meet a pair of soft brown eyes.

"You don't look well. Do you need help?"

I shake my head, "I-I'm fine." I say quickly.

This young boy must be around fifteen. I feel ashamed having been caught hiding by him.

"You should get a health check-up." He advises.

"I'm fine, don't worry." I reassure him. He sounds much more mature than his age.

"Here." He holds out a card to me.

I take it and read the name. "Dr Kris Pole." I glance up at the boy. "Who is this?"

"Yours truly of course. If you feel ill, come and see me." He says seriously.

"You can become a doctor and have a business card at such a young age here?" I wonder aloud in confusion. It claims he is a professional, qualified doctor on the card.

He furrows his eyebrows, "How old do you think I am?"

"Fifteen?"

His face relaxes and he laughs, "I knew you thought that too. I might look like this but I am actually twenty eight."

"Are you joking?" I ask in surprise.

"I was cursed when I was younger and the magic stopped my body from aging or growing so I am stuck like this although I am an adult." He explains.

I suddenly remember the most crucial fact and the reason why I am hiding here. The cloaked person isn't there anymore but I can't be too careful. I was distracted with Dr Kris.

"Sorry, I need to go." I apologise and walk out from my hiding place.

"Don't forget to contact me." He calls.

I nod and wave before I leave the shop. Every few minutes, I glance over my shoulder but it doesn't look like anyone is following anymore.