Chapter 3

It turns out that after meeting Gaylen Davici, I had actually completed my introduction to the Davici family.

"Carmella, my parents have agreed with my suggestion for you to stay here. Where do you wish to work?"

I stop midway with the bowl of porridge in my hand as I help her eat. "Work?"

"They want you to work as a maid here but I want to know what you wish to do." Fern explains.

"Don't you think it would be laughable for me to become a maid?" I chuckle as I imagine myself wearing a maid outfit. Although, the servants here have a more modest uniform than the ones I saw in my other life.

"I agree with you. You have better potential to work as something else Carmella."

"Hmm... That's it!" I exclaim loudly in excitement. "How about a bodyguard? I learnt a few things in my other li-" I stop and quickly continue, "You've witnessed my skills so what do you say Fern? I could work as your bodyguard."

She grins and claps her hands, "Perfect! I'll ask my parents if you can be my bodyguard."

"Thank you Fern." I smile and pat her head. "I will do my best to protect and keep you safe."

Fern's parents probably have a soft spot for her because it doesn't take much convincing for them to give in and agree for me to take the position of Fern's personal bodyguard. They also seem to find it a good deal because I am a female.

The only obstacle which disrupts me has dark hair and azure eyes which seem to stare down at me with intimidation.

"As you have now been appointed as Fern's bodyguard, you will have to join the others in daily training." Gaylen says, standing outside my bedroom door. As per Fern's request, I now have my own private bedroom.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, crossing my arms and staring at him. I grin, "Were you waiting for me?"

His eyebrows twitch as I tease him but he keeps his poker face as straight as possible. "Be ready in five minutes."

I frown in confusion, "What for?"

He raises his eyebrows, "Training."

"What?!" I exclaim loudly. I wasn't informed about any training.

"Why are you so shocked? Did you think just anyone can become a bodyguard of the Davici family?" He says haughtily.

I glare at him. I really want to twist that high nose off. "I think I am capable enough to guard Fern." I say. "Haven't I already proved it by rescuing her from those ugly kidnappers?"

He raises his eyebrows, "How do we know that it was actually you? How can a woman like you..."

My eyes widen. Is he being sexist? "Is it because I am a woman? Do you feel threatened that a woman is strong?"

With a glare at me, he steps away from my door. "Just get ready for training. I don't like waiting."

I roll my eyes and shut my door, making sure I lock it. What should I wear to training? Before, I would simply wear a sports bra and shorts but it is different here. It seems like the people here look down on women who can fight.

Fern made sure to fill the wardrobe in this bedroom with different clothes for me. My conscience makes me feel guilty every time I wear something, knowing that it must be expensive.

In the past, I would never have worn such expensive things since I had rent and bills to pay. In the end, I worked my arse off for nothing since I ended up dying from a fall.

To be honest, I don't know if I actually died. I haven't been transported to someone else's body but instead, I look the same as I did in my other life. Did my body leave that world too or is this one just an illusion or a parallel version of myself in another world?

For all I know, I could be in a hospital but the height of my fall was too much for me to survive. If I am still somehow miraculously alive, is there a way for me to return? Or should I obediently join the training and continue living in this world? There must be a reason I was reincarnated here.

A sudden knock on the door interrupts my thoughts. I forgot Gaylen is still waiting outside for me.

I search through my wardrobe and grab a plain top and leggings. This should be fine.

Swinging the door open, I step outside. "Lead the way please."

Gaylen raises his eyebrows. "Weirdo." He mutters under his breath as we begin walking.

I ignore him and instead turn my eyes to the corridor, admiring the design and art work adorning the walls. I understand why those monsters kidnapped Fern. They could have blackmailed her parents to give them millions in ransom if she hadn't escaped with me. 

"We're here." 

I blink as he interrupts my thoughts yet again. I hadn't realised that we have already reached the training ground. There is only asphalt as far as my eyes can see with a few trees dotted along. There are also some target boards which must be for archery.

It looks nothing like what I had imagined when he mentioned a training ground.

"What's wrong? Are you feeling weak?" I can see his mouth twitching. He thinks I'm scared?

"I'm not a chicken." I say, straightening my back and sticking my chest out. "There's nothing I've never done before." I semi lie.

He raises a dark eyebrow, obviously not believing me. "What does a chicken have to do with this? If you can't complete today's training, you will be immediately dismissed as Fern's bodyguard."

My eyes widen in shock. Why is he placing a condition on something which has already been confirmed?

"Prepare to eat your words." I say. I won't lose to his condition. "Say, where are the others?" I ask, looking around the grounds.

He smirks, "There are still ten minutes left."