Chapter 13

Within the next two days, I slowly adjust myself to living in Jemsi. The town has a strange name but it means "Life" in their local tongue.

Both Sir Ligas and his wife Lady Jasmine are friendly and kind people. Although I'm the only guest at their inn, they make sure I have everything I need. I also spend time training my mana and power with Glean.

"You don't need to help us like this Car." Jasmine says as I wash the dishes.

"I'll feel bad if I don't. It's the least I can do after you've let me stay for free. Think of it as my rent fee." I say, putting the washed plate into the drying rack.

Jasmine is only a year older than me so we're already on first name basis. She's a warm person like her husband. Sometimes, I am reminded of Fern when I am around her but I force myself to forget.

"Are you alright Car? You have that look again." Jasmine says in concern.

I smile, "It's nothing. Do you need help with anything else?"

Jasmine's gentle jade green eyes stare at me and she purses her lips. "You know I'm always here if you need an ear Carmella. I consider you a good friend so please don't push me away."

Maybe it's the soft tone she uses or maybe it's her kind heart but I feel a little guilt gnaw at my conscience. I know she wants me to open up to her and share my worries but I have always been independent and alone. I simply do not know how to share my feelings with another person. After tightrope walking between cliffs, the next most difficult thing for me is letting someone inside the protective barrier around my heart.

Jasmine means well but that is what I am most afraid of. I don't want to grow attached to her incase a similar situation to Fern's occurs again. 

"I know. Thank you Jas." I say gratefully.

She wrinkles her nose, her freckles bouncing up. "I just remembered that I have a shopping list if you're alright with going."

"Sure, leave it to me." I smile and take the small piece of paper which she pulls out of her apron pocket.

"Don't come back too late or it'll get dangerous."

"Dangerous?" I ask curiously.

"The monsters come out after sunset."

Monsters are creatures which roam on the outskirts of Jemsi. They are known to eat human flesh and come out after the sun sets in the evenings. The people here try to avoid going outside after sunset if they can.

The list which Jasmine has given me is around ten items. I head to the nearest grocery store and find that it is still busy. I reach up for the cheese which is placed on the highest shelf. My hand doesn't reach even when I am standing on my tiptoes.

I glance around but it looks like there are no shop assistants. Do they not hire them here? This world is not short people friendly either.

"Damn it." I mutter and try to reach up again.

"You won't be able to get it. Let me."

I feel someone reach up from behind me and take the cheese. I turn around to thank him but gasp. 

"Emmett?!"

His emerald eyes widen as he sees my face. "Carmella?!"

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. What a coincidence. We met in such a random place.

He smiles and hands me the block of cheese. "I've come to visit my parents."

"They live in Jemsi?" I ask in surprise.