Don't Shoot

They had long since abandoned their boxes parked in the back alleyway of shops in the luxury district. Their path was straight through the shadows of Niveal and into Stumbler's row. Ava hadn't really remembered where Marian's was or what it looked like but Oceane knew. She lead them through the streets like she was a local.

If you have navigated one street in Niveal drunk, you could navigate all of them sober.

That is what Morgana and Cooker used to say when they were here last. They mentioned it multiple times, mostly because they had forgotten they had said it in the first place.

It was close to the docks near Stumbler's row, a prime location for business. Oceane took them to the back entrance and they stopped before going inside. They both paused for a moment before looking at each other with confused looks. There was no music, no chatter, no indication that anything was going on inside the tavern.

"They're gone? Did we miss them?" Ava asked, putting her ear to the door.

"We won't find out until we get inside," Oceane tried the handle but it was locked. She frowned and tried again but it didn't work.

"Hold on."

Oceane dropped down, pulled a pin from her pocket, and fiddled with the lock. They were waiting for a while, it was a bit windy and the cloak on her was little protection from the slightly chilled air. She rubbed her hands together as she watched Oceane struggle with the door.

"Cooker once told me I would make an ass of myself if I ever took up lockpicking as a hobby," Oceane put the pick away and stood up, "yet, I tried. Clearly, I didn't pick up much."

"We made it this far yet a locked door has stopped us," Ava found some humor in their situation.

"Also, Marian's being empty is an obstacle," Oceane noted, "we don't have much time to look for someone who can tell us where Theo might be."

"Maybe they are just sleeping. Or they closed for a break."

"Sleeping or a break at night in Niveal? Unlikely," Oceane tried to reason and Ava knew she was trying to temper their expectations.

"I'm going to go up front, see if I can see anything through the windows," Ava started walking but Oceane held her back.

"You are the heir to the Vaith estate now. The likelihood that people take notice is high, even if you all dressed up as a proper deckhand," Oceane let her arm go as she walked toward the edge of the building, "be right back."

Ava was alone.

For the first time, she was truly alone. She would have taken a deep breath of relief but she was in the back alleyways of Stumbler's Row; it smelled of shit and rotting food. She wasn't left alone in her thoughts for long, the back door to the tavern opened.

Ava spun toward it to see Oceane on the other side, a cheeky smile proudly on display.

"Sing my praises, Red," she reached for Ava's arm and pulled her inside. Ava took a moment before closing the door to pull off her wig, throw it into the dirt outside, and adjust her hood. Then, she entered.

"How did you get in?" Ava looked around but it was dark and only the lights from outside the windows provided any relief.

"Praises," Oceane requested.

"You saved us from shit alley," Ava laughed but she felt a twist in her gut at the fact that everything was empty.

"The front door was open," Oceane revealed.

The twist only worsened.

"Do you think they're gone?" Ava frowned, "if they did leave, they would at least sell the place, right? Or leave it under someone's management to generate income. That is what Cooker wanted to do to ensure they had money. It makes no sense for it to be abandoned."