Chapter 50: Assumptions

Start from the beginning

Then I remembered.

'Oh shit!' I jumped off the seat, a horrified look on my face.

Rokuro flinched, looking startled. 'What is it?'

I started running on the spot frantically. 'I was suppose to meet my friends about half an hour ago! Shit! I have to go, I'm so sorry!'

'It's fine.' he said, looking slightly amused. 'You'd better get moving then.'

'Right.' I said, breaking into a run and waving at him over my shoulder without a single glance back.

************

'Eh ... Makoto, why are you so late? We're starving, you know ...' Naruto whined, clutching his stomach.

'I wasn't allowed to touch the food until you came, Makoto ...' Choji complained, eyeing the meat in front of him as wiped his drool.

'What was taking you so long?' Shikamaru asked, raising his eyebrow. 'You're always on time -'

'Boys!' Ino growled, looking and sounding murderous as her eyes flashed dangerously. 'Have some respect for her! I'm sure Makoto has her reasons, right, Makoto?' she said, her tone changing completely into a sweet one as smiled at me with her eyes closed.

'Sorry!' I said, scratching the back of my head. 'I just happened to meet a friend.'

'You can tell us all about your friend, Makoto.' said Ino, still smiling. 'But first, sit down, sit down!' she motioned me over to the empty seat.

I looked at her strangely before my eyes shifted to the empty seat. I tensed. The only empty seat was between Sasuke and Ten Ten.

My eyes met Sasuke's for a spilt second before I looked away and turned to Shikamaru and Naruto who were seated next to each other. I gave them a look that clearly said I wasn't alright to sit there because both of them glanced at me worriedly.

'Is something wrong, Makoto-san?' Lee asked, his bushy eyebrows furrowed.

'Huh?' I blinked at him before forcing a smile. 'No, no, I'm fine ...'

I took the empty seat, scooting closer to Ten Ten as I felt Sasuke's gaze on my the whole time. I felt my entire body heat up.

'I'm sorry for being late, guys ...' I apologised, bowing my head slightly.

'It's fine, Makoto!' said Ten Ten, throwing an arm around my shoulder. 'You're here now, anyways.'

I smiled at her gratefully.

Ino, who was sitting right across me, propped her arms up by her elbows and put her hands together with her chin rested on them. She leaned towards me, a sly look across her face.

'So, Makoto - why were you late?' she asked.

'I bumped into a friend of mine.' Literally, I thought.

'Are you sure he's just a friend?' Sakura said, who was seated on the other side of Sasuke, giving me a knowing look.

I noticed everyone giving Ino and Sakura strange looks.

'We saw you two just now, Makoto.' Ino smirked. 'He's from the clouds isn't he? How'd you know him?'

'We went against each other during the Chuunin exams and then I met him again during the war.' I said, rolling my eyes. 'That's all -'

'Drop the act, Makoto!' Ino squealed, throwing her hands in the air. 'Sakura and I saw you guys holding hands! You two make such a great couple!'

'Wait, what?' I stared at her as though she grew an extra head. 'What on earth are you -'