An infestation discovered

July turned into August. It took much longer than I thought teaching this little girl to be a warrior using what memories of the ancient past when dragons and knights existed and made up my own little training nonsense on how to be warrior. Polly went ahead and did it all without a complaint, really, even during dummy sword fight practice. Not a peep came out except for a few odd grunts.

"Who is that, Miss Emily?" Polly one day asks, pointing towards the rock sculpture.

"Loki," I hiss. "Loki of Asgard, God of Mischief, master of magic."

"Ooh, so he's a god," Polly said.

"He is," I hiss, using a flake of my tail to smooth out a part of the demolishing part of the rocky cheek.

"So does he have a part in becoming a warrior?" Polly asks.

"No," I hiss. "He has nothing to do with it."

"Then why do you have a statue of him?" Polly asks. "Do you worship him or something?"

"I do not," I hiss. "I made it for fun."

"Oooh," Polly said. "Miss Emily likes Prince Loki!"

I walk towards the mouth of the cave.

"Perhaps it is time I show you how to ride a horse properly." I nudge over to my side. "Hop on, with some protection, we are going on a wild ride."

____________________ ___________________

One fine day in August, Polly did not come to the cave.

She didn't come that following week.

"Hmm..." I said, seeing the city from the cliff side down the path near my cave. It is strange Polly did not come. "And she hasn't gotten the marking yet."

The marking consists of a lower case 'e' with a dash mark and two "|' marks beside it. I had decided it would be placed on her right cheek using a stick dipped in my acid blood. A marking that will never leave the girl until the day she died and her body decomposes inside a box over the decades that come to pass.

"There is something going on," I said.

I have long gone to learn that when I am saying something no one can hear it. But when I am hissing then others can hear a word I am saying which is pretty strange in terms of communication. I strolled down the cleared path oddly not seeing a critter moving about. I had only caught a rabbit this morning and ate it. Normally there would be more prey to munch on for breakfast. I did not hear the 'ooh oh oh oah aha ah' sounds to monkeys in the trees. Not a chirp is heard. Insects did not make a sound.

There is a lingering fog shrouding the forest when I went down the path.

I feel as though the forest is watching me, waiting, and staring.

Something moves in the bushes.

I turn my head towards the side showing my sharp fangs with a sharp hiss.

Ribbit went a frog as it hopped out.

"Stupid frog," I hiss, turning away from the small animal.

I went down to the center place of civilian life breaking my own rule. I step foot on to the pavement seeing the windows are closed, dangling window pieces being blown against the walls by the wind, and abandonment seen every where in the entrance to the city. I look around going further into the city. Stuffed toys are left on the ground on the benches. Benches are flipped over with remains of what seems to be hats.

Squeak went something under my clawed foot.

I look down to see it is a rag doll lacking the middle of it's forehead.