First Love

AU where instead of disappearing, Alison's family just moved away from Rosewood. There is no A, Alison was nice, and Jessica was actually a good mom.

Emily walks quickly through the halls of the new school she is coaching at in California, mentally cursing herself for being late on her first day. She isn't paying attention and runs straight into another teacher, spilling her coffee all over the back of the woman's shirt.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry. I'm not normally this much of a klutz."

The woman turns around and both of their hearts race as their eyes meet.

"Emily? Emily Fields?"

"Alison Dilaurentis? Its been ages."

They share a hug.

"Don't worry about the coffee spill, accidents happen. What are you doing here?"

"I'm the new swim coach. What are you doing here?"

"AP Classical Literature." Alison is startled by the final bell. "I should get in there and start my lesson but meet me for lunch? It's so good to see you."

Emily smiles. "Yeah. Yeah, I'll see you at lunch."

At lunch, Alison finds Emily in the teachers lounge. She smiles and sits across from her. Emily notices that Alison is still wearing their friendship bracelets from freshman year. Before Alison moved, she and Alison had switched.

"You still wear the bracelet." Emily instinctively touches her own that is hidden by the sleeve of her jacket.

"So do you." Alison reaches across the table, pushing Emily's sleeve up slightly and tracing her fingers across it.

Emily feels her cheeks heat up as Alison looks at her the way she used to. "Always."

"So what brings you to California? It's a long way from Rosewood."

"I needed a fresh start. I went through a pretty rebellious stage in high school. My mom had a hard time accepting the fact that I was gay before my dad made her realize that me being healthy was more important than who I loved. The more she struggled to accept it, the more girls I brought home. Went through more girls than Noel Kahn. Earned the nickname Lady Killer. Turns out, that reputation follows you into adulthood. What about you?"

"I came here at seventeen for college and decided to stay. UC Berkely."

"Is there anyone special in your life?"

"No. Turns out women don't like it when you wear a bracelet with another woman's name on it. Especially after you marry them. Been divorced two years. She served me with divorce papers at our sons second birthday in front of both of our families. She gave up all parental rights to him a few months later and left town."

"If it cost you your marriage, why didn't you take it off?"

"She didn't just want me to take it off. She wanted me to throw it out. You know how I get when someone tries to make me do something I don't want to do. She wanted to erase you from my life so I took every picture I had that have you in them and put them up all over the house and honestly, I don't regret it. Nobody will ever erase you from my life."

"So, what's your son's name?"

Alison begins to blush a bit. "Jesse Wayne. Jesse after my mom. Wayne after your dad. I always admired him. He was more of a father to me than Kenneth ever was."

A few weeks pass and Emily and Alison become as inseparable as they were when they were kids. Meeting before school, between classes, and at lunch every day. One Friday afternoon, Alison seems a bit nervous during their lunch.