Steve Harrington- Pee Stick (c)

You stared at the little stick intensely, anticipating the second pink line to bloom into existence and shatter your mind and soul. Your pants and shorts were still around your shins whilst you waited on the toilet for your pee to betray you. It had barely been sixty seconds when Steve knocked on the door to get your attention.

"What does it say?" He called. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah," you croaked out, your voice hoarse and strained from the fear and pain inside of you, waiting to see if the two lines would be changing your life.

Steve pushed the door open, hesitating to enter when he realised you were still on the toilet. "Oh..."

Your eyes shot up from the pee stick, giving him an unimpressed look. "The fact I'm sat here seeing if I'm pregnant with your child, I think you've seen enough to not be fazed by me on the toilet, it's not like I'm actively peeing."

He was still hesitant but entered the bathroom closing the door behind him. He slid down the door to sit on the floor, knees to his chest as he watched you watching the stick. You took your eyes off the stick for a moment when the alarm buzzed. Looking back there was still only one line and you had stared hard at the space long enough that even the phantom pink line your eyes had mustered up had disappeared too.

"Negative," you whispered, relieved. "I am not ready for a baby."

Steve was smiling, running a hand through his hair; his eyes tired and red from your 2am panic that had led to you both being sat in the bathroom. Even in his old pyjamas and bed head, you couldn't help but feel so much love for him. You had been together since high school and even if you were both in dead-end, mind-numbing jobs and just scraping by enough to afford the rent on your dingy apartment, you were happy and in love. One day you both desperately wanted children but not now, not when you were in a constant battle with the damp in your bathroom and shopping in the discount section of the most questionable grocery store in town.

"Yeah, we aren't ready for a baby, maybe a puppy but not a baby," he sighed. "One day soon but not when we don't even have room for us here let alone another little human."

You had zoned in on one word and one word only that he had said.

"Can we get a puppy?" You asked.

Steve let out a chuckle. "When we have a yard, we can get as many puppies as you like."

You narrowed your eyes at him, wishing to test his statement. "Twelve?"

He rolled his eyes as he stood up from the bathroom floor.

"Yes, we can have twelve puppies, and six babies and a cat and a horse and an elephant if that's what you want but we need to get out of this apartment first."

"And quickly."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.