Chapter sixty-eight

Începe de la început

I sighed and turned back towards the house. I had no backup. I was on my own. But I'd be okay. 

My mum and I went over the paperwork and met with the real estate agent that was going to be selling the house. He officially put the for sale sign in my yard and I got a weird feeling in my stomach.

It felt like sadness and happiness at the same time. Bittersweet. I hated the house but the meadow gave me comfort. To see it go was something that was going to be hard, but it was time for someone else to enjoy it. 

"Isn't that amazing! It's officially on the market!" I said excitedly. "We will have you out of here in no time. Who wouldn't want this place? It's a big house for a farmhouse."

My mum smiled and nodded. It was a tiny smile, but it still was something. I knew how quickly she wanted to get out of there. But it was going to be bittersweet for her also. She did raise her children here.  

My mum needed to go to the store close to dinner time and wanted me to go with her. I hesitated, knowing the looks and stares I would get. But I realized that is why she wanted me to go with her. She was now an outcast in a town where she was once very popular. Her friends ditched her and she was kicked out of all the clubs and activities she was in. She didn't want to go alone.

I really hoped I could get her out of this town if she would agree. Move her to where things were actually normal. Rachdale was stuck in another time period. It made it hard for people to escape. They didn't know how to act normally anywhere else. 

So I agreed to go out. I even put on an outfit that I knew would piss people off, just to get the attention off my mum. 

I put on some scandalous jean shorts. And by scandalous, I meant, above the knee and not a skirt. I then put on a Queen tank top which showed some cleavage.

I might get stoned today. 

We walked into the local grocery store which was a small building on the main street of town. Rachdale was a small town so everybody knew everybody. I wasn't shocked when everyone looked at me as my mum got a cart. 

Well, maybe it wasn't just because they knew me. Maybe it was also because to them I was dressed like a hooker. 

We started shopping and I could feel so many eyes on me.  This continued for a while. My mum would name an item and I'd fetch it while being stared at by practically everyone in the store. 

I left my mum in the cereal aisle to try and find some ketchup. We both were getting tired of all the attention so we assumed maybe splitting up to get items could get us out faster. 

"Nina Jackson I'll be damned."

The nauseating feeling that filled my body almost made me lose my balance. The mention of what was once my last name. It tied me to these people. It connected me to my father. 

I turned and saw Alice Murphy standing there with her shopping cart nearly full. She was as intimidating as I remembered. She towered above me with her short blonde hair and bright pink sundress. 

She went to school with me and was a prime example of what my dad wanted me to be like. She was the daughter of the pastor of the church we attended. She always thought she was better than me and would say so consistently.

It used to bother me when I was younger but once I hit secondary school I became more popular because of how rebellious I was. While she was already in courtship with the guy her dad picked out for her, I was kissing a new guy every night. (Not that that's really a good thing.) None of them my dad would ever approve of.