let's talk

initially, i wasn't going to talk about this because i felt that it would be best to keep in my messages and just let it go, but overtime, it's begun to actually anger me a bit

i'm not caucasian.

i do not have pale skin.

i'm african american.

i have dark brown skin.

that's who i am, a black woman. on my page, it states that i explicitly write for my race. there are so many stories that pander and cater to you people with ivory-colored skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes. there are not many stories that cater to us dark-skinned people with dark brown eyes and dark brown/brown hair.

so it's really just infuriating and frustrating that i get a message like this. i'm usually the type to conceal what im feeling, but with things like this-it's really difficult.

please, there are so many good writers out there that are a complete replica of you. they look like you and write stories for you, so please do not come into my messages saying that 'diversity matters' and that you should be included. you're saying that to a black woman that comes from a marginalized group that knows very much well that diversity matters.

black people with beautifully dark brown skin are rarely portrayed in books, shows, movies, or anywhere on big tv screens. i am from a community that suffers the most oppression and bigotry in the world and it stems from the color of our skin. my books are made for my people to realize that they're beautiful and that the color of their skin is a gift they were blessed with. it's not a curse, it's not a disgusting thing-it's something beautiful that they should embrace and not feel hatred towards.

but this does not only apply to the person that came into my messages to send me this-this goes out to other people that say this to black writers or black creators. please truly think about what you say.

again, im a black woman, and i write for people that look like me. that will never change and i will never think about trying to change it.

thank you.