25: distraction

~helter skelter - the beatles~

THE GROUND WAS MOVING.

Why was the ground moving?

Jennifer tried to peel her eyes open slightly, but when she did, she squeezed them shut again after her head began to pound painfully.

"What the fuck?" she mumbled, bringing a hand up to her face.

"Hey, Hey, Jen," somebody said, taking her hand and moving it away from her face. "How're you feeling?"

Jen squinted a bit and noticed she was laying across the backseat, her head on her brothers lap. She tried to look at her feet and saw them resting on Dustin's lap. She also saw a knocked out Steve laying half on her feet and half on the floor. 

"What's goin' on?" she asked, trying to sit up.

"No, no, stay down Jenny," Matt said quietly, holding her shoulders down.

Jen blinked and looked towards the front of the car. She saw Mike and Lucas squished into the passenger seat and Max in the drivers seat.

Wait.

What?!

"WHAT?" Jen suddenly yelled, causing Steve to stir. "What- WHY is she driving?!"

"Jenny?"

Jennifer looked down towards her feet and saw Steve awakening, looking over at her confusedly. He then brought a hand up to his incredibly bloody and bruised face.

"No, don't touch it," Dustin whispered, grabbing his hand. "Hey, buddy... Shhh,"

"St- steve," Jen called, reaching her hand out. "I don't mean to scare you, but look at the front seat,"

Steve rolled slightly and directed his attention to the front of the car, squinting his eyes as he did so.

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai," Lucas's voice echoed through Jens skull.

"Oh, my god!" Steve suddenly exclaimed, his eyes landing on Max.

"Just relax. She's driven before," Dustin told him.

"Yeah, in a parking lot!" Matt added, causing Jens eyes to widen.

"That counts!" Lucas called from the front.

"Y-you guys need to STOP THIS CAR!" Jen suddenly yelled, the throbbing in her head intensifying.

"They were gonna leave you guys behind!" Dustin suddenly said, looking between Steve and Jen. "We promised that you'd be cool!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! WHAT'S GOING ON!" Steve yelled, a panic setting in.

The car sped up and Jennifer tried to push herself into a sitting position while holding onto the door for dear life.