6: no face

~help! - the beatles~

AFTER FINDING BARB'S CAR PARKED EXACTLY WHERE IT HAD BEEN THE NIGHT BEFORE, Jennifer and Nancy both became increasingly more worried

"Do you think there's any clues at Steve's?" Jennifer asked gently.

Nancy shrugged her shoulders, a sad look on her face.

"Wouldn't hurt to check,"

Jennifer nodded in agreement and the duo set off to Steve's house, using the same route they had just the night before.

When they got there, Nancy led the way and found a back gate that would let them into the backyard without having to go through the house.

"Barb?" Nancy called as they walked onto the pool deck.

"Barb!" Jen yelled, cupping her hands over her mouth.

Both girl's heads swung to the left when a loud rustling was heard from the forest. They made eye contact for a second before walking towards the sound.

Jennifer held onto Nancys arm, slightly hiding behind the shorter girl. Nancy continued calling for Barb, walking deeper into the forest. Another rustle sounded and Jennifer couldn't help but let out a scream.

"Holy fuck!" she yelled, gripping Nancys arm and sprinting out of the forest. "Shit, shit, shit, shit!"

Once they were away from the forest and back onto the street, Jennifer let go of Nancys arm and continued to run, making sure Nancy was right behind her.

When the two girls finally turned into Jens driveway, Jennifer was out of breath.

"Nancy..." Jen mumbled. "What the actual fuck was that thing?" she asked.

Nancy crossed her arms over her chest, her bottom lip trembling slightly as she did so.

"I don't know," she admitted. "But whatever it is, i- it... it took Barb," she continued, her voice cracking.

Jennifer's eyes filled with tears but she blinked them away in frustration, refusing to believe that Barb was truly gone.

"We don't know that," she argued, shaking her head.

"Yes we do, Jen!" Nancy exclaimed, tears falling into her cheeks. "Something terrible happened to Barb and if I hadn't been so obsessed with Steve I could of stopped it!"

Jennifer shook her head at Nancy, moving towards the girl. "Don't ever think that this was your fault," she said, pulling the girl into a tight hug.

Nancys small frame shook as she let out a loud sob, burying her head into Jennifer's neck. Jennifer cried silently, trying to stay strong for her friend.

Nancy eventually calmed herself down, pulling away from her friend and saying that she needed to go home before her mom worried about her. Jennifer agreed and made sure that Nancy would call her later that night.