20: lab

~runnin' with the devil - van halen~

AFTER THEIR BRUSH WITH DEATH, the group of five had left the junkyard and were now back on the tracks, discussing what to do next

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked.

"Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt," Dustin replied, annoyed.

"He was tiny two days ago!" Max argued in confusion.

"Well, he's molted three times already," Dustin said nonchalantly.

"Malted?" Steve stammered.

"Molted," Dustin corrected. "Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms,"

"Dustin, nobody knows what a fucking hornworm is," Jennifer rolled her eyes.

"Well, you would, if you paid attention in class," Dustin argued.

"Excuse you," Jen mumbled, rolling her eyes. "My grades are great,"

"Okay, hang on," Max said, interrupting their small argument. "When's he gonna molt again?"

"It gotta be soon," Dustin decided. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends,"

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats," Steve joked.

Jennifer cringed slightly at the mention of Dustin's cat. Ever since she had been a little girl, she loved cats. And she knew Dustin's mother, Claudia, did as well.

"Wait, a cat?" Lucas asked, stopping in his tracks. "Dart ate a cat?"

"No, what? No!" Dustin stammered, shaking his head.

"I thought he ate Mews?" Jen chimed in, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked, looking up at the older girl.

"Dustin's deceased cat," Jen answered, frowning.

"Jennifer!" Dustin yelled, catching the girl off guard.

"I knew it!" Lucas snapped, pushing Dustin's shoulder back. "You kept him!"

"No!" Dustin denied, shaking his head. "No..."

The other four stared at the boy in silence, Lucas waiting for an explanation.

"No, I- No... I..." he stammered. "He missed me. He wanted to come home!"

"Bullshit!"

"I didn't know he was a demogorgon, okay?" Dustin defended.

"Oh, so now you admit it?" Lucas retorted.

"Guys, who cares? We have to go!" Max interrupted.

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas snapped, turning back to Dustin.