12: merry christmas

~come together - the beatles~

"DID YOU EVER ACTUALLY CLEAN YOUR FACE FROM TODAY?" Jen asked, inspecting the cuts on Steve's face from his fight earlier

"No," he answered, shrugging his shoulders. "I was too busy looking for you guys,"

Jen furrowed her eyebrows and wetted a cloth in the sink. Her and Steve were currently in the kitchen trying to clean their wounds since Jonathan and Nancy had taken the bathroom.

"I'm really sorry, Jen," Steve sighed as she wiped the dried blood off of his face.

Jennifer shrugged her shoulders. "You aren't half as bad as..." she hesitated. "Y'know,"

Steve nodded, glancing down at Jen as she took the wash cloth away from his face and put it back on the faucet.

"There," she nodded. "At least you look semi-presentable now,"

"Let me help you," Steve said, taking the washcloth from the sink again.

"No, my face isn't nearly as-,"

"Jen, Eric wears rings," Steve reminded the girl. "Your face is cut to shit,"

Jennifer hadn't actually looked in a mirror since the fight. How bad did she really look?

"Alright, yeah," she agreed, pushing herself onto the counter.

Steve moved forward and started to wipe her face gently, his face scrunched in focus as he did so.

"So, uh, are Nancy and Jonathan, like, a thing?" Steve asked, trying his best to sound casual.

Jennifer shrugged her shoulders. She almost felt bad for Steve. She knew that he really cared for Nancy.

"I- I don't know," she admitted. "They... They act like they're a couple, but I don't think they've really done anything,"

Steve pulled his lips into a straight line before tossing the washcloth into the sink and sitting on the counter next to Jennifer.

"Well, they're cooped up in the bathroom together right now, so..." Steve muttered, nodding towards the bathroom door.

"I'm sorry Steve," Jen sighed, resting her head on his shoulder.

Steve wrapped his arm around the girl's shoulders, squeezing her arm slightly.

"Me too," he said, putting his chin on top of her head. "You know, I'm done with Tommy and Carol and... Eric,"

Jennifer smiled, glad that Steve was finally coming to his senses and ditching the assholes that he used to call his friends.

"Good," she said, closing her eyes slightly.

"Hey!"

Jennifer lifted her head from Steve's shoulder and he retracted his arm like he had been burned. Nancy and Jonathan finally re-entered the kitchen.