16: broken

~comfortably numb - pink floyd~

WHEN JENNIFER AWOKE THE NEXT MORNING, she had no idea where she was

WHEN JENNIFER AWOKE THE NEXT MORNING, she had no idea where she was. She lifted her head from the pillow and inspected her surroundings, a bit of drool dried on her face.

"Ugh, shit," she groaned, leaning back and rubbing her face.

She looked down at herself and her eyes widened when she noticed the clothing that Steve had given her last night. The pair of sweatpants had Hawkins Athletics printed on the thigh and the sweatshirt was just a plain navy shirt.

She pushed herself up from the couch and threw the blanket back over it. "Steve?" she called, looking around.

Footsteps sounded on the stairs and Steve soon appeared, showered and completely ready for school.

"Shit, Steve can you give me a ride home?" she asked pleadingly. "I can't miss more than first period,"

"Yeah, yeah, of course," Steve stammered, looking around the room before picking up the keys to his car. "Let's go,"

Jennifer followed the boy out of the door as fast as she could before throwing herself in the passenger seat of his car. She thanked god that Steve didn't live too terribly far from her house, leading to a car ride just under five minutes.

"I owe you Steve," she exclaimed, unbuckling her seat belt and leaving the car. "Thank you so much!"

Without waiting for a response, Jennifer slammed the door and sprinted up the driveway. When she entered the front door, she was already halfway up the stairs by the time it closed.

She locked herself in the bathroom as soon as she made it upstairs and showered in a matter of 2 minutes. She sprinted back to her room, almost slipping and falling due to her wet feet, and threw on the first outfit she could find.

After running a brush through her hair, Jennifer ran back downstairs and grabbed both her backpack and car keys.

"Jennifer, why aren't you at school yet?" Amanda asked, her eyes wide.

"You said I could miss first!" Jen reminded the woman. "I'll make it there for second, I promise,"

Before Amanda could scold her daughter any further, Jennifer had disappeared out the front door and peeled out of the driveway.

*

After Steve had dropped Jennifer off at her house, he hadn't been able to get her off of his mind. He thought back to the night before. They had only been two friends dancing, right?

Right?

Steve was now in gym class, which, usually, would help get his mind off of whatever was currently on it. But, due to one guy on the opposing team, that proved to be quite difficult.