18: act like you don't care

~when doves cry - prince & the revolution-

"HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET IT IN THERE?"

Jennifer, Steve, and Dustin were standing above the door to the Henderson storm cellar, where Dustin said he had trapped the lizard-monster from before.

"I lured him," Dustin answered. "He almost got me, too,"

"Smart, Dustin," Jennifer scoffed. "Really smart to try and trap a monster that killed and ate your cat,"

"Well, it all worked out, didn't it, Jenny?" Dustin retorted, putting his hands on his hips.

Steve moved forward and pointed his flashlight at the doors and tapped them slightly with his bat.

"You're sure it's in there?" he asked, resulting in a nod from Dustin. "I don't hear shit,"

"He's in there," Dustin confirmed.

Steve glanced at Dustin before tapping the doors again, but nothing happened. He slammed his bat against the door, but still heard nothing.

"All right, listen, kid. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank," Steve shone his flashlight in the kids face, resulting in Dustin leaning his head back and squinting. "You're dead,"

"It's not,"

"All right?"

"It's not a prank!" Dustin whined, his eyes now closed. "Get it out of my face!"

"Okay, no more bickering, you two," Jen decided, raising her eyebrows at Steve. "You got a key for this thing, Dusty?"

"Don't call me that," Dustin muttered, shaking his head and walking away.

Dustin soon returned and handed a key to Jenny. She crouched down before unlocking the padlock on the door.

"Steve, you're opening it," she decided, straightening up again.

"What, why?" he asked, his hands up in confusion.

"Just open it, Steve," Dustin told him.

"Yeah, Steve," Jennifer nodded. "Listen to the kid,"

Steve looked between Jen and Dustin before shaking his head in disbelief. He removed the chain from the door handles and pried open the door cautiously. Jennifer took the flashlight from his hands and leaned over his shoulder, shining it into the dark room below.

"Let me see that," Steve said, reaching over his shoulder for it.

Jennifer handed him the flashlight and he shined it into the cellar, revealing nothing.

"He must be further down there," Dustin decided, shrugging his shoulders. "I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape,"

Steve and Jen both straightened up before sending Dustin an un-impressed look. Steve turned back towards the stairs and sighed while shaking his head.