9: the girl

~lucy in the sky with diamonds - the beatles~

AFTER GETTING ARRESTED, Jonathan and Jennifer had both been shoved into the back of the police car, Nancy getting in with them as well

Now, however, they were handcuffed in the Hawkins police department, ice packs placed on both of their faces. Nancy, however, was holding Jonathan's.

Heavy footsteps soon entered the station and Jennifer looked up. Her eyes widened in fear when she saw both her mother and father following after the chief and Joyce Byers.

"Hey!" Joyce exclaimed, walking over to Jonathan. "Jonathan? Jesus, what- what happened?"

Paul and Amanda both made their way over to Jen, Amanda's face full of fury as she did so.

"Jennifer, what the hell happened?" she demanded, scanning over her daughters face and looking at the bruises.

"Mom- stop, I'm fine," she shook her head out of her moms reach, Jonathan doing the same beside her.

"Ma'am," Officer Callahan warned, getting up from his seat.

"Why is he wearing handcuffs?" Joyce asked, her eyes wide. "No, no, why are either of them wearing handcuffs?"

"Well, your boy assaulted a police officer. That's why," he answered. "And she was fighting a boy in an alley,"

"Take them off," Paul demanded, looking at Officer Callahan angrily.

"I am afraid I cannot do that," Callahan denied.

"TAKE THEM OFF!" Joyce yelled, much more aggressively than Paul.

"You heard her. Take 'em off," Hopper demanded, surprising Jen.

"Chief, I get everyone's emotional here, but there's something you need to see," Powell spoke from behind the kids.

Jennifer internally screamed when Hopper returned with the box of weapons the kids had purchased earlier that day. He dropped them on the desk in front of them and the three parents immediately started to dig through it.

"What is this?" Joyce asked.

"Why don't you ask your son?" The chief asked, his eyebrows raised. "We found it in his car,"

"What?" Joyce asked in astonishment.

"Why are you going through his car?" Jennifer asked defensively.

The chief leaned in closer, his expression hard to read. "Is that really the question you should be asking right now?" he asked. "I wanna see you three in my office,"

Jennifer shook her head and tightened her lips. "You won't believe us," she argued.

The chief turned back towards the desk and leaned down again. "Why don't you give me a try?" he challenged.