7: the funeral

~at this moment - billy vera & the beaters~

JENNIFER DIDN'T GO TO SCHOOL THAT NEXT DAY. Her parents now knew about what happened between her and Eric and had no problem with her staying home if it meant she would stay away from him.

She hadn't left her bed at all that day, but, suddenly her phone rang. Jennifer groaned before crawling across her bed and putting the phone to her ear, saying hello as she did so.

"Jenny, I'm with Jonathan Byers at the school right now," Nancys voice spoke into the phone. "There's something you need to see,"

Jens face scrunched up in confusion. Why would Nancy be with Jonathan?

"Jonathan Byers?" Jen asked. "Nance, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Just get your ass to the school," Nancy demanded. "Now!"

The line went dead and Jennifer held her pillow to her face, letting out a frustrated yell. She reluctantly got up from her bed and put on whatever clothes she saw first. She pulled her hair into a ponytail before turning on her radio, locking her door, and sneaking out her window.

When Jen finally got to the school, she immediately spotted Nancy and Jonathan at the boy's car, looking down at something in Nancys hand.

"Nance!" Jennifer called, waving over to the girl.

Nancys head quickly moved to look at Jennifer and she immediately started waving the girl over. Jennifer broke into a jog and eventually made her way over.

Without saying a word, Nancy shoved the picture towards Jennifer. Jen furrowed her eyebrows and looked down at the picture, her stomach dropping as she did so.

"Holy shit," Jen muttered, moving the picture closer to her face. "Th- that was the thing in the forest,"

Nancy and Jonathan both nodded, their faces solemn.

"What the hell is it?" she asked.

"We still don't have an answer to that," Nancy shrugged, crossing her arms over her chest. "But we're not the only ones who saw it,"

Jennifer gave the picture back to Jonathan before looking at Nancy with a confused look on her face.

"My- my mom," he muttered. "I thought she was going crazy but after Nancy confirmed it- Will might be alive,"

Jennifer's eyes widened. "What?" she asked in astonishment.

"My mom is convinced that Will is still alive... th-that that wasn't his body and, if she was right about this... thing... then-," Jonathan spoke slowly, looking down at the ground and shaking his head.

"Then she could be right about Will," Jennifer said. "He could be alive,"

"And if he's alive..." Nancy continued, her voice full of hope. "Then Barb could be too,"