19: bears and dogs

Start from the beginning

"Oh, you know-,"

"Hey, Lucas," Dustin interrupted, his eyebrows furrowed. "Can I talk to you?"

Lucas's smile faded but he nodded nonetheless and followed Dustin away from the group, leaving Jennifer and Steve standing with the new girl.

"Hey, I'm Jennifer," Jen introduced herself, sticking out her hand. "What's your name?"

The girl looked up at Jennifer a second before taking her hand out of her pocket and shaking Jens.

"Oh, I'm Max," she said, forcing a small smile onto her face.

"Nice to meet you, Max," Jen smiled, dropping her hand. "This is Steve,"

Steve sent a small wave and smile to the girl before turning back to Jen.

"So, what're we thinking?" he asked. "I'd say we could do something with that bus,"

Jennifer followed his gaze to the old bus that sat abandoned at one end of the yard and nodded. Since Dustin and Lucas were still off somewhere, the other three started bringing metal sheets and other useful things towards the bus.

After a few minutes of this, Steve stopped walking while Max and Jennifer hauled a large sheet of metal towards the bus, his hands on his hips. He looked at the two boys who were crouched behind an old car, watching the two girls.

He sighed before walking over and banging a chair on the back of the car, causing the two to jump up and turn around.

"Hey! Dickheads! How come the girls are the only ones helping right now?" He exclaimed, his eyebrows raised. "We lose light in 40 minutes. Let's go. Let's go, I said!"

"All right, asshole, god!"

"Okay! Stupid,"

Jennifer straightened up after placing the metal on the ground and looked over at the boys with a slight smile on her face.

"You tell 'em, mama Steve," she chuckled, watching as the older boy dropped the metal chair.

"All right, well, someone had to," he shook his head.

Jennifer nodded in agreement, the smile not leaving her lips.

After getting a sizeable stack of metal in front of the bus, the group of five rolled over some old barrels that Steve thought could come to use. Jennifer left a trail of gasoline leading from the door of the bus out to the pile of meat while the kids set up a ladder in the bus.

They lined all of the windows with the sheets of metal and, to top it all off, slid one in the door of the bus, ensuring their safety. The sun had just started to drop below the horizon and Jennifer made sure the kids were on the bus before stepping on herself and closing the door.

*

Darkness had completely fallen over the junkyard.

Jennifer was sat down next to Steve, picking at her fingernails in anticipation. Steve was clicking his lighter open and closed, creating the only sound in the bus.

"So you guys really fought one of these things before?"

Jennifer looked to her left to see Max looking over at her and Steve, a curious look on her face. Steve only nodded his head, turning his head forward again.

"Yup," Jen replied, nodding her head. "Last year,"

"And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear?" she asked.

Jennifer and Steve both nodded again.

"Shit. Don't be an idiot! Okay?" Dustin suddenly exclaimed, resulting in Jennifer looking up at him with wide eyes. "It wasn't a bear. Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home,"