18: act like you don't care

Start from the beginning

"Well, Stevie, let's get 'er done," Jen decided, handing the boy his bat.

"No, Jen, stay up here with Henderson," Steve said, pointing his bat at her.

"Oh, I'll stay behind you," Jennifer rolled her eyes, sliding her machete holster over her back. "I promise,"

Steve pulled his lips into a straight line and moved his bat up and down a bit more before groaning and nodding his head.

"Fine, yeah, whatever," he agreed reluctantly. "Stay behind me,"

Jennifer made eye contact with Dustin before pointing at Steve and rolling her eyes. Dustin snickered quietly before Jennifer followed Steve down the stairs. She held her machete out in front of her, readying herself for any monsters that may appear.

When they finally reached flat ground, Steve grabbed ahold of a string, lighting up a small light bulb.

"I don't see anything," Jennifer admitted, looking around.

"Yeah, me-," Steve's sentence was cut short when he caught sight of something in the corner of the room.

Steve turned away from Jennifer before bending over to pick something up. When he turned back around, Jennifer was disgusted to see there was some sort of skin on the end of his bat.

"Ugh, gross!" she exclaimed, backing away from the boy. "Dustin, get your ass down here!"

Dustin's heavy steps sounded on the stairs and he soon entered the cellar, his eyes wide and breathing heavy.

"What? What happened?" he asked, looking around.

Jennifer nodded towards Steve's bat and Dustin swore when he noticed the skin hanging off of it. Steve then moved his flashlight to point towards something that Jen hadn't noticed before.

A hole in the wall.

"Oh, shit!" Dustin exclaimed.

The trio moved towards the hole before crouching in front of it, Jennifer resting her hands on the two boys shoulders to balance herself.

"No way," Dustin mumbled.

"Well, this is just fucking awesome," Jennifer exclaimed, standing back up.

*

After their findings from the night before, Steve, Dustin, and Jennifer met back up bright and early the next morning to take down Dustin's cat-eating monster.

First, they had gotten enough raw meat to fill three buckets. Jennifer had been the one to suggest some rubber gloves since she seriously didn't want to have to smell the boys after they were touching raw meat.

They also got ahold of some gasoline.

Why?

Jennifer couldn't answer that.

The trio was stationed in Jennifer's driveway again, taking the supplies from her trunk. Jennifer was glad that she had decided to get up early, meaning her parents were still inside, drinking their coffee and watching the morning news.

Dustin excused himself from the group before beginning a conversation into the mic and headphones that were connected to his walkie.

"Well, well, well, look who it is," Dustin taunted.

While Dustin continued his conversation, Jennifer and Steve continued to set stuff on the ground from the girl's trunk. Steve slid his bat into a backpack before sliding it onto his back. Jennifer did the same with her machete holster.