~38~

Right before I slept that night, I reflected on Jordan's words. He was right. I ought to focus on my grades and not just on sports. I wondered if that was what Mr. Bada wanted to talk to me about and felt scared momentarily of what would happen if my parents got to know about it.

There was an unwritten tradition in my school of inviting parents when a student's grades drop consistently. I couldn't imagine that happening to me. The shame I felt each time I brought my result home was enough. I couldn't bear the thought of embarrassing my parents too, just because of insolence.

It was still a bit better before I joined the sports team. It was also a bit better before I got the result of my dyslexic test but at the moment, it had dropped drastically. I used to do so well in assignments, class work and tests but ever since I joined the sports team, I became absent-minded in class sometimes and other times, my apathetic attitude made me learn nothing. I also did my assignments perfunctorily and put in little to no effort during tests. How devastating.

It got even worse after the dyslexic test. My apathy grew and I decided to blame my learning disorder even when I knew that it has nothing to do with general intelligence.

Now that the sports competition was fast approaching, I couldn't help but wonder if I made the wrong decision by joining the team. Maybe my parents were right all along. Maybe I should have stuck to trying to raise my grades up by all means necessary.
I sighed.

It was really hard to make a decision. Especially with the fact that Coach Darasimi's way of winning my parents over was by telling them that I would do well in school work too, that sports wouldn't distract me. She had also told them that she trusted that I had the potential to do very well in both sports and school work and that all I needed to do was focus.

Later that week, when I asked her about how she was able to convince my parents, how she did what I could never have done, she explained what transpired between them to me.

When she was done explaining, she emphasized on the fact that she still believes that I could do well in my school work. I guess she was also oblivious of the fact that I was on the brink of total failure.

I kept tossing and turning on my bed as I thought of all these people and how precious they are to me. I didn't want to let them down, not after how much they've sacrificed to get me to where I am. Especially my parents, watching them hustle everyday to give me and my siblings an opportunity to live a happy, content life.

So, I made a decision there and then. I needed to really boost up my grades, no matter what level of dedication it will take. Even if I'd have to study with someone, have someone as a peer mentor.

Of course, it won't be Jordan because that will be too much for him to bear. It'll probably be Daniel or Mary, since they were the top students of the class.
"Remember that Ade was the second in the last mid-term test", a voice in my head said.

I chuckled at how I didn't even think about picking him as my peer mentor. He was quite good academically but it will be hard for me to treat him as my peer mentor. I would be less serious with him, if he tried to lecture me on some subjects, than with people I'm not very familiar with.

So, it'll be better to go with either Mary or Daniel.
Now that I had decided to make an effort to get better, my mind was at peace.
"How about the upcoming competition?", the voice in my head spoke once again.

"Oh! No. I can't forfeit sports just 'cause of good grades. I love sprinting", I bemoaned aloud, before waiting in silence hoping that my voice didn't wake anyone up. However, I only heard the crickets chirping in the still dark night.

"Then, don't", the voice said.
Well, I could start my better grades resolution after the competition, right?
"Of course I can", I said in a small voice.
I smiled delighted that I had thought of the best way to solve my dilemma.
So, what was left was how I could practice as much as possible for the competition.