~16~

~OYINADE~

"So...Ololade stormed off. Just like that. For no reason", I said.

We were walking home from school. I had narrated how the race went to Ade. He had rejoiced after I told him that I was accepted into the team and that I broke the freshman's record of the team. I then explained the remaining part of the event and he wasn't even talking. He seemed absentminded.

"Hellooo Ade. Ade!", I blurted out.
"Ye-yes", he stuttered.
"You're not listening", I said.
"I am. I am", he said.

"Okay! What was the last thing I said?", I asked.
"Uhm.... that Coach Darasimi will talk to Mum and Dad?", he said, with a grimace.
"No! That was several minutes ago", I said.
"Okay. Fine! I'll tell you what I'm brooding about", he said, sighing.
"I'm all ears", I said, eagerly awaiting his reason for zoning out.

"I don't want to get into the details. So, I'll summarize it.", he started.
"Okay?", I said. I was really anxious already.
"It was such an appalling sight. It'll be too disturbing to talk about", he said.
"Ade, can you please get to it? You're making me anxious", I said.
He sighed deeply.

"Okay. Here goes nothing", he said, taking in a deep breath.
I looked at him, urging him to speak with my eyes.
"I saw Jordan and Bisi in a compromising position", he said.
"There. There you have it", he added.

"What?" I exclaimed. I couldn't believe my ears.
"Jordan?" He nodded.
"Bisi? My seat partner?", he nodded again.
"Where?", I asked.
"In the restricted garden", he said. I gasped, then covered my mouth.
'The restricted garden' was not really a garden.

It was a secluded area at the back of the school's main building.
It was named the restricted garden by some of the previous students. It was also rumored that it was given that name because, a student once threw a picnic there and then, soon afterwards, another student was molested and almost raped by some other delinquents, right at that same area. The school then decided to label the place as "out of bounds". There was still a huge signboard stating those words erected in front of it.

However, students being students. Many of them still found their way there. It was no news that whoever was seen in the restricted garden, especially with the opposite sex, was labeled as being involved in illicit affairs.

"When did you see them?", I had a lot of questions and I couldn't stop asking.
"It was right after you went to sprint. When I saw you off, as I was coming back, I saw them from upstairs.", he said.
I shook my head slowly. I knew that it couldn't be true. Right? Jordan couldn't be in a relationship with Bisi, my seat partner. If he was, he'd have supported her when Peace hurt her, right?
I shook my head vigorously.

"Oyinade!", Ade called, softly, tapping my arm.
"What happened? Are you alright?", his face was laced with concern.

"How can I be sure that you didn't misread the situation?", I asked, deliberately ignoring his questions.
"What do you mean I misread the situation?", he asked.
"I don't know. What if they were just talking?", I asked.
"Oyinade! I literally saw them kissing", he said.
"How can I misread that kind of situation?", he was getting infuriated.

"Well...not everything is as they seem", I insisted.
"Are you serious right now?"
"Are you really being serious right now?", he asked.
I didn't say anything.

"You know, even after I warned you to be careful with Jordan, you still went ahead and collected a box of chocolates from him!", he said, his voice was calm yet it reflected deep hurt and anger.
"I didn't want to. He convinced me!", I said, trying to defend myself.
"And I wonder what made you tell me to be careful. Jordan won't harm me!", I exclaimed.