~14~

~OYINADE~

It was finally lunch break.
"So... you slapped him?, Ade asked.
"Yes", I said, plainly. I had just narrated the whole story, from how it started to how it ended and Ade couldn't believe his ears.
"Wow! I wish I was there", he said with a smirk.

"If you were there, you'd have fought Peace right?", I asked.
"Fight him? No, I'd have watched you deliver that slap to him",
"I'm not about to go to jail for someone else", he said. I hit his arm and he chuckled.

"For real though. You know how Peace's parents are right?", he said.
I nodded.
"Then, why did you interfere?", he quizzed.
"Really? So, I should have just watched him beat up my friend for no reason. Right?
"Is that what I should have done?", I asked.
He was quiet.

"Wait... if it was me, would you have ignored him? If he slapped me, would you watch him just because his parents are influential", I continued.
"He won't dare lay his hands on you", he said. His voice was serious and cold.
"I'd beat him so much, his parents would barely recognize him", he continued.
"Woah, easy there, Bruce Lee", I said, chuckling. His eyes lit up again.

"You know, I can't forget how much Daniel smiled and even laughed yesterday.", Ade said.
"What?", He had changed the topic of discussion so suddenly, I was confused.
"Well, I was watching you guys. In church, after service. What did you say that made him laugh so much?", he said.

He seemed genuinely interested in what I and Daniel discussed the previous day.
"Oh... you mean yesterday!", I exclaimed.
"Nothing really. Just random talks about stereotypes about pastors in this part of the world. Uhm...Oh! That reminds me, a video of us has gone viral on IG. Daniel showed me on his phone", I said.
"Video? What video?", he asked.
"A video of us sprinting at Unilag. Someone recorded the race", I said. His jaw dropped.

"Oh...wow. I'll ask Daniel for the IG page and check out the video today. I'd have probably seen it if I didn't take a one week social media break", he said, casually deeping his hand in his pocket to bring out his phone.

"No-no-no-no, Ade, don't tell me you brought your phone to school again. You didn't, right?", I said, my voice laced with worry. He simply giggled and brought it out fully.

"The last time I was with you when you brought out your phone in school, it got me in trouble with you", I said, reminding him of the incident that happened the last time he decided to bring his phone to school.

"I won't let you put me in trouble again. Bye!", I said, walking off. As I was walking off, a force pulled me back, ever so gently but swiftly. Once again, I was right in front of Ade, almost leaning on him. I adjusted and stood properly, adjusting my clothes.

"I'm sorry for pulling you but this time, you won't be getting into trouble", he said. He looked certain, pleased with himself even. He wasn't even hiding the phone. What made him so confident?
"I won't?", I asked to be sure that I had heard him say the right word.
"No, you won't. The principal told me to bring my phone", he concluded.

"Oh!", I muttered, remembering the instruction given to the students the previous week that the first, second and third students in each class should bring their phones. They wanted to register them for an upcoming competition and it was important.

I guess Ade purposely decided not to mention it during the weekend because topics about quiz competitions, debate competitions and the likes used to make my blood boil. It was frustrating that I couldn't even represent my school in a spelling bee competition without being last place or second last place, talk more of quiz and debate competitions.