~27~

~OYINADE~

We took a turn as soon as we stepped out of the school gate. We had decided to trek home earlier.
"So, you guys went for an excos meeting", I said, just to be sure.
He nodded.

"Oh!", I mumbled. I had jumped into conclusions without thinking.
"I'm sorry", I said.
"For what?", he asked.
"For accusing you wrongly and for jumping into conclusions without asking you first", I said.

"It's fine. What we should be more concerned about is why Bisi wasn't in class", he said.
"Hmm", I said.
"She was probably in the restroom or something. I shouldn't have assumed that you guys were together. I don't know why my head seems to always form wrong conspiracy theories", I said.

"Well, your conspiracy theories might not be entirely wrong", he said.
"Really?", I said, curiously.
"Yeah...I was with Bisi, for a moment. I wanted to try to get information about her and Jordan but it seemed as if she was in a hurry", he said.

"Hmm?", I said.
"Yeah. I watched her climb the stairs and head towards the third floor. I don't know where she was going or what she wanted to do there. All I know is that she was in a hurry", he explained.

"Wow...there's definitely more to all this than meets the eye", I said.
"Yeah...definitely", he said.
"Ugh. I'm tired of all these mysteries already. I just want to know what's going on", I said, sighing.

"Yeah, me too", he said, sighing dramatically.

Nobody spoke for a while, we just walked in comfortable silence.

"Ade", I said.
"Yeah?", he said, turning to face me.
"What if moving to Abuja is actually the best decision for you?", I said.

He stared at me in disbelief.
"What if there are better opportunities for you to achieve all your goals and aspirations there?"
"What if-", I was going to continue giving more reasons why it was probably best for Ade to go with his dad when I was interrupted.

"What if I don't want to go? What if I just don't care? I don't care about whatever positive plans my dad has or whatever good opportunities are out there waiting for me", he lamented.

He stopped walking for a moment and just kept talking. I stopped too, so I could listen to him properly.

"I just want to stay here, with you", he said, looking straight at me. Our eyes locked for a few seconds but it felt like it lasted for several minutes.

I looked away and glanced around nervously. I was beginning to feel a certain way. I just had to break away from his gaze.

"—and my Mum, of course", he added, also glancing around. He probably noticed that his previous statement came out sounding very cheesy. He kept walking and I walked beside him.
"And Paul, and just...everyone and everything", he rambled on.

I sighed.
"You know, I can't imagine living without you—all", he said.
"How would I survive? How—", he said.

"Ade...calm down", I said, interrupting him. I noticed that he was beginning to freak out. He was hyperventilating already. It was as though he hadn't thought of the reality of moving away until now.

"Calm down", I said, patting his back slightly.
"Take a deep breath"
He took a deep breath.
"Okay, Good. Now, Let it out", I said. He exhaled and his face showed signs of relief.

"Deep breath...", I said.
He took a deep breath once again.
"Let it out", I said.
He exhaled with a deep sigh. I gently patted his back watching him closely.

"Ade", I said.
"Yes?", he said, turning to face me.
"I want to say something. You don't have to say anything in response. Just hear me out, please", I said.