Chapter Thirty-two

A/n: the last chapter but no means the last of this story. I am currently writing book 2, if you are interested in reading that please drop a comment. Thank you all to whoever has stuck with me through this.

"Samrin be clear! What do you mean? Of course you're my brother. We came into this world together" Sabrin tried to reason with her distrought sibling who just shook his head.

"Sabrin, my dearest daughter,please. Just leave it here. Live on your life and live well" a defeated Lord Ashen interjected.

"How did you know?" Samrin spoke to his father once again who had lost the hate in his eyes and merely watched his son with pity.

"When you were only seven decades old you fell from the Sound Tree in Tive. Do you remember? I told you not to climb but Cais had done it so many times you just had to prove to everyone you could to" he spoke fondly, the memory playing out in his mind.

"You fell hard. At least twenty feet. I was terrified I'd lost you when I saw the blood from your head, I held your tiny body in my arms and thats when I saw it. That black ...sludge seeped from the wound. Just a bit, only ever a bit, then it was red again. I think that's when I really realised you were different. My suspicions only grew with time. I tried, I really did try to put it to the back of mind but when Tiss-Farrow mentioned it I could no longer deny the truth"  Samrin jolted as did Cais.

"Tiss Farrow? What do you mean she mentioned it?" 

"She is the one who gave me the book, it details the life cycles of demons during a certain age. I couldn't read it but the Priest from Sarran could."

"Where did she get such a book from?" Cais asked.

"I didn't ask. I never got to use it. I changed my mind when he arrived, I didn't want to know your true name...I decided then to just marry you off in hopes I could forget about it. Despite all I knew I still wanted to be  a good father" He took a long sigh and looked to the floor.

"I have failed all of you, my children or not" 

Before anyone could ask more questions the doors swung open and King Calern swanned in with a smug look upon his face.

"Are we all done here? The baying crowd is ready to see what happens to traitors Ashen" He mocked as everyone sat quietly on the couches. 

" We are done" Lord Ashen responded and stood up without one last look at his children.

"No" Samrin said evenly, causing Calern to smile.

"No?" he asked, unable to hide his glee as Sabrin tried to quieten her brother.

   Samrin stood up and shrugged off his sisters grabbing hands. Cais followed suit watching Samrin intently.

"Calern, I have a question" 

Samrin's face was no longer full of pain but instead was empty and clear, his eyes wide and staring at Calern who stopped smiling.

"Silus was an orphan born in Garnda and raised in Prylith Monestry only to be taken as a youth by Svenna, the Goddess of Peace. He never had any family to speak of as they all died during the destruction of the realms by Da'ga. He never had a cousin." 

"W-what?" Calern opened his mouth like a dying fish.

"You came to his employ while I was fucking him! You wormed your way in, you changed your hair colour, you bay to his every whim and extorted all those around you. Your power was bought with his name" Smarin's voice changed to a deep and resounding one that bounced from every wall in the room. Yoru felt his hair stand on end and a full body shiver at the sound of it.