Chapter Twenty-two

The Ashen’s all stood around looking from one and another until eventually Samrin spoke. He sat up in bed, his pale face with a little more colour and his hair combed back to its normal smooth self.

“Oh nothing, just siblings trying to kill each other. That old chestnut. Anyway, how do you feel? What did she actually do to you?”

He knew it was about him. It was painfully obvious Cais had said something and the mounting stress in Yoru’s heart from the days before built up to an aching pain. He had always been scolded by the monks when he was a child for not letting things go.

   When the other kids would pick on him he always had to say something back, no matter how much worse it made the situation. He had to say something or it would build up inside until eventually he would snap. And snapping was not an option anymore.

“Are you upset because of Border Town? This is an over reactions don’t you think?” He pushed Firs off his legs and turned to face Cais who looked a little confused.

“Border Town?”

“Because Samrin touched my dick? Because I grabbed your younger brother's hip and pulled him into my arms while we slept soundly for hours?” He poured salt into every wound Cais carried over him and smiled in satisfaction.

No one spoke, shock rippled through the group as Yoru carried on.

“Well I guess you are the only one here to have ever seen such a beheading. Our species simply cannot mingle, you are absolutely right. Thank you for reminding everyone here but I do have one small question…as you know so much about these laws” 

Firs grabbed Yoru’s arm as if to warn him but was promptly ignored.

“How do you think the law feels about an elf and a demon fucking? Do you think that's covered by the same laws or is that okay? If so then maybe you and Firs should have researched into that a little more.” 

Yoru lit the fuse and smiled. Firs pulled him off the bed to stand. The Ashens erupted in ‘what?’ and ‘Cais?’ as Cais turned a funny shade of purple. His fists clenched tight, their eyes not moving from one another as Firs pulled Yoru out the room.

“Okay let's go Yoru. We are hungry, we must leave right now” he cried. Shoving the door shut behind him.

Shouting came from behind them and Firs made a strangled noise before bolting down the stairs and straight to the tavern. Yoru was not far behind. He had to settle matters with Firs, with  the soul bond and Lerath but he really just wanted a drink. Cais had enraged him beyond anything he could control but he didn't regret putting the man in his place.

   The group that seemed to always be on the verge of breaking apart was truly finished now. He no longer wanted to travel to Silona to be either sold out to the king or degraded amongst the nobles. Any chance of help he had once offered to Cais now fell to the floor broken in pieces.

   They sat at their booth, ale in hand and drank on empty stomachs. Firs looked a little out of it, he wasn't angry and Yoru didn't care if he was in the first place.

“So we went into the void, well I feel we may have become aware of the pieces of our souls stuck in there. Then our minds merged into each others memories that had been burnt into our very beings. How fascinating…truly” Firs said as Yoru nodded along.

“Do you maybe want to talk about what we saw?” This time he spoke far more tentatively.

“Not right now” Yoru replied.

“Okay… You want to talk about what was said up there?” he asked again in his softer voice.

“Urgh he got the wrong idea and ran with it. We haven't done anything, at all! There has been no flirting between us” Yoru banged his fist on table, the bottles of ale rocking slightly.