Chapter Eleven

Yoru woke the next day to find himself still hunched over at the bottom of the door. He rubbed his eyes then looked about his room, nothing was different. The room was unmoved by the night before, still and waiting for him. The morning chill had seeped through his open window, he stretched out his aching limbs and sighed from deep within his weary soul.

Firs would ring his bell soon and breakfast would be demanded. The other man had made no attempt all night to come for Yoru and in turn he had slipped into a fitful and uncomfortable sleep. Perhaps Firs did not truly believe he had heard or saw anything that he deemed important, Yoru clung to that crumb of hope.

Firs acted entirely normal when they had come face to face the night before. Yoru decided his best bet was to play along. The demon who Firs had corresponded with had not said anything mind shattering, no great plans were revealed.

He changed his robes to the soft dark cotton ones Firs had supplied him with upon becoming his servant and brushed his hair back. He would serve the man breakfast and not mention the night before. It was his best plan of action for now, he couldn't hide in this room until someone came for him.

When he padded into the large kitchen he grabbed an apron and tied it around his waist. Just as he pulled a large bag of oats down the man himself arrived. He was not as stealthy as he had been in the dungeon, he was still wearing his bed robes and looked like he had slept just as well as Yoru.

Yoru grunted to him in acknowledgement and began to prepare the porridge. He kept his back to Firs, who had once again pulled up a stool to the counter. Yoru braced himself on the stove top and took a few quick breaths, hoping the other didn't notice, and started to measure his ingredients out.

"You look terrible, did you not sleep well?" Firs asked, his tone light and airy.

"I uh...forgot to close the window. I woke up to a chill, which could be the start of a cold sickness." Yoru lied.

"Oh I see. Well I can put you on light duty for a time if need be" he offered, Yoru turned slightly to find himself being watched quite closely.

"No need. I..could I request a hot bath this evening? I will be right as rain I'm sure."

Firs agreed nonchalantly and babbled to Yoru about his day's plan. He had to travel to the town to speak to some residents concerned about rather mundane issues. Yoru was only half listening. An idea had formed.

"May I accompany you? To town I mean. I'm not sure how long I can stay in the same three rooms without going mad."

Yoru turned to watch Firs fully who was tapping his chin with his finger.

"Sure. Why not"

Yoru smiled, his face felt tight as he did so. He hadn't had much to smile about recently. Firs gave him a bright smile back, his eyes lighting up.

"After the ritual we can go anywhere together!" He said causing Yoru's smile to completely fall, Firs faltering in the process.

"Oh come now Yoru you cannot believe I would let you run about telling everyone what I am. I need a little bit of reassurance here! I am putting myself out on a limb to keep you alive. Give and take is truly the best foundation for a friendship" He stated.

Yoru put the wooden spoon he had been using down with a bang. Bits of porridge flew about the counter and Firs jumped.

"We are not friends. Holding me captive for whatever perverse reason does not mean I am your friend. I want to go home, I want you to leave me alone. Can't you go back to Helios? What exactly do you want from me? From Pyre?" Yoru shouted, Firs watched with a slightly open mouth.