Chapter Sixteen

Cais didnt utter a word to Yoru as they trod into the dark forrest. No longer could the vibrant violet hues be seen, a grey picture was painted before them . Although Yoru could see perfectly fine in the dark he still only saw it as just that; dark and drab. Cais who had brought with him a small candle trapsed ahead of them both.

   His footsteps were lighter and noiseless, he was skilled. He crouched low and listened, holding up one hand for Yoru to follow. He strained his ears to listen to what Cais wanted him to then heard the faint sound of running water. A stream was close by. Cais stood and walked towards the noise with Yoru behind him.

   He tried to keep his feet light but he stomped and snapped almost every stick and crunchy leaf. He heard Cais huff and puff a few times before finally they had made it to the small stream.

   Cais sat the candle down on a nearby rock and began looking up into the brush and trees. Yoru watched awkwardly as the man worked away. He jumped up and pulled down a branch before snapping it in half. He turned and looked at Yoru, as if debating on saying anything, he must have decided against it as he knelt down and began plucking any small branches of the stick.

   It took Yoru a moment to realise he was making a spear and offered him Firs sword which he had swiped from the floor. Cais shook his head and Yoru had to sigh.

“Give it here then, I will carve it down for you if you are to be so stubborn” Cais handed him the stick and sat and watched as Yoru worked one end to a sharp point.

“How can you be so relaxed with all this?” Cais asked in a small voice. Yoru didn't bother to look up.

“Well I guess I’ve had a longer time to process it. I’m assuming this must be the hardest part of your life, you must feel utterly at a loss as to what to do. That’s where we differ, me and Firs and you and your family. We’ve worked all our lives to just survive, you lot have been gliding through life” He felt a little empty of empathy for Cais struggles, after finding out the man had seen the death of his parents, he had little left to offer the Ashen.

   He knew logically it was not their fault but Yoru could not help but feel the way he did. He watched the man behind his lowered lashes and saw him look away. He said nothing in return.

   The stick was as sharp as he could get it and Yoru handed it to Cais who crouched down low near the running stream. Yoru picked up the candle and sat on the rock nearby. He stared off into the trees when a thought entered his mind.

“What are you three planning on doing?” 

Cais was still studying the water when he replied quietly.

“I could ask the same of you” 

“Well, my current idea is to travel to Garrel in the morn and stay the night to grab some supplies. We will then travel to The Northern Light Temple and see if the head priest can absolve us of this blasted curse.”

   He had not discussed this with Firs, in fact he had not totally thought this through himself. It seemed like their best option as of yet.

“We will travel to Silona as soon as possible and call for a meeting with the king. We must free father of such baseless accusations.”  Yoru didn't bother to point out they were not entirely baseless since the man did have a demonic book in his possession.

“Maybe…uh Maybe Firs can tell you what that book is about if it would help?” he offered up as Cais stabbed into the water. A look of triumph flitting across his face.

He pulled out a still wriggling fish and Yoru clapped.

“Will you get him to do that?” Cais asked, a little hopeful.